Subaru Overheating Problem

Hi,

Sorry to repost but thought that I should mention in the title that the car is a Subaru.

I have a 1999 Subaru Outback with ~81000 miles. On a recent trip the engine temperature started to fluctuate between overheat (top of the gage) and normal every few minutes. I found the oil level down 2 quarts which I added and the coolant overflow tank almost empty; I added water. I then drove car about 20 miles before getting it towed to a Subaru dealer. They found oil in the coolant and feel that either the head gasket is gone or in addition the block needs replacement.

They might be right, but I have some questions:

  1. If there is leakage between the cooling system and the oil why is there no water in the oil. I don't know the relative pressures.
  2. Why the oscillation in temp. This it seems to me might be caused by a bad thermostat.

I need a second opinion.

Thanks for help in advance.

Reply to
Howard M. Stark

Tony Hwang

Combustion pressure make things go wherever it wants to.

Again, combustion gas is VERY hot and can quickly raise the temp. A blown head gasket can be somewhat intermittent but must be fixed or much more serious damage will result. TG

Reply to
TG

Reply to
Tony Hwang

There are actually some little test strips of paper but I can't seem to find them on the net right now. I think a "sniffer" for the tailpipe used in emission testing will work if held near but not submerged in the filler neck. You can also use a cooling system pressure tester at the filler neck and instead of pressurizing the system to look for leaks just start the engine and see if the gauge rises...it shouldn't. TG

Reply to
TG

You can also pinch off the overflow hose and then rubber band a plastic bag over the filler neck and see if it expands when the engine is running....I have found balloons that would fit. TG

Reply to
TG

I think someone reported on this ng a year or two ago that they successfully used carbon monoxide detectors (can't rememer if it was strips or the electronic gadgets) like you'd buy in Walmart, Lowes, etc. for home use to detect exhaust gas. Do a goolge search on this ng if interested on tbhe details.

Bill Putney

I had similar trouble with my '97 OBW back in June. I made the mistake of going to a Subaru dealership that everyone recommended to me. The dealership (Carr Subaru in Beaverton, OR) was supposed to have had the "best" service dept. in the business in one the biggest Subaru regions US (the Pacific NW). Well, they charged me top dollar ($1600) and did very poor work.... they forgot to tighten various essential clamps when they reassembled the engine. So, I had to go through 2 major breakdowns stranded far away from home AFTER having to spend all that time & money for repairs. THEN spending much time and effort to get the car BACK to the dealership so they could fix what should have been fixed properly the first time. They never even said "sorry about that".

My advice? Take the time to make sure you know and understand fully what the problem is with your vehicle.... then choose the shop very, very carefully. Try to meet the person who is actually going to do the work and make sure you feel comfortable with that person tearing apart your engine and then reassembling it. If he shows any signs of drug & alcohol use, refuse to have him do the work. You cannot be too careful about this, especially when it comes to this sorta stuff. Sounds like you may have some reservations about this particular Subaru dealership. You may want to get the car diagnosed at an independent shop, especially if it's a possible blown head gasket. Hope this helps.

-- Pete

Reply to
Peter Berkey

Thanks for the advice. Howie

Reply to
Howard M. Stark

They might be right, but I have some questions: 1. If there is leakage between the cooling system and the oil why is there no water in the oil. I don't know the relative pressures.

Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure therfore oil only in coolant. Oil could have leaked past the head gasket.

  1. Why the oscillation in temp. This it seems to me might be caused by a bad thermostat.

When a temp sensor gets an air bubble around it, it can behave erratically. If you have air bubbles in your cooling system it sounds like a head gasket or cracked head.

Reply to
Seth_thedude

They might be right, but I have some questions:

  1. If there is leakage between the cooling system and the oil why is there no water in the oil. I don't know the relative pressures.

Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure therfore oil only in coolant. Oil could have leaked past the head gasket.

  1. Why the oscillation in temp. This it seems to me might be caused by a bad thermostat.

When a temp sensor gets an air bubble around it, it can behave erratically. If you have air bubbles in your cooling system it sounds like a head gasket or cracked head.

All exactly correct, I had a small leak in one of the head gaskets and it did exactly that. Unlikely to be a thermostat.

Reply to
Pete D

Water may very well be getting into the oil. But those temps are high enough to keep it boiled off. Not so with oil in the cooling system.

In the old days, you'd get 'chocolate mousse' collecting under the filler cap. I would be surprised if his PCV valve and hoses weren't clogged with emulsified oil and coolant.

Also, as has been mentioend before in oyher threads. When the coolant system is near its at its boiling point in some areas of the engine, but still below that point elsewhere, odd things begin to happen. Like geysers. The heat up, deep down its hotter than at the surface, a small bubble forms, moves up where less pressure lets it expand some, maybe it cools off enough to collapse, maybe not, it cause some 'burping out' of water in the water column, now there is less pressure in the system, larger bubbles explode forcing a lot of water out, repeat but with different dynamics in the car 'cause there is no replenishment of water as in a geyser.

Throw in old gummed up radiator caps, questionable radiators, sticking thermosatats, broken fans, highway followed by stop&go driving, etc.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Seth_thedude wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thank you all for your insights and help. Howie

Reply to
Howard M. Stark

Howie, It is possible to have water in oil or vice versa but NOT necessarily both together - it just depends upon what is cracked and where.

With any luck you just have a head gasket problem and it will go away after replacement. You should expect to get the heads pressure tested with the valves out to be sure of no cracks.

Ref. the gauge fluctuation, not many people realise that the sender for the temp gauge neds to be immersed in coolant to operate correctly and if the fluid leaks or boils away the gauge either will not register at all or will vary wildly.

We build Subaru engines all day every day and apart from 2.5 Dohc's in the UK I have NEVER seen a cracked or porous cylinder block on a Subaru.

Good luck David API Engines Ltd England

API Subaru Impreza