Subaru recalls new Forester over pedal entrapment fears

From AB

RECALL Subject : Carpeted Floor Mats may Curl/Interfere with Pedals Report Receipt Date: APR 24, 2013 NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V159000 Component(s): EQUIPMENT Potential Number of Units Affected: 10,137 Manufacturer: Subaru of America, Inc.

SUMMARY: Subaru is recalling certain model year 2014 Forester vehicles manufactured from January 2013 through March 2013. The backing for the carpeted floor mats was not manufactured to specification. As a result, the floor mats may curl when exposed to heat.

CONSEQUENCE: Curling of the driver side floor mat could distract the driver and/or interfere with proper operation of one or a combination of, the vehicle's clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals. Brake or accelerator pedal interference may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash.

REMEDY: Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will replace each of the vehicle's four (4) carpeted floor mats with new ones. These services will be performed free of charge. Subaru will issue an interim notification by the end of April 2013. Owners may contact Subaru at

1-800-782-2783. Subaru's recall campaign number is WQH-44.
Reply to
MummyChunk

I've had that happen with aftermarket floor mats, gas pedal got stuck.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

MummyChunk:

Bought my 2013 Forester on 30 March, received the recall notice by e-mail on 26 April. /Almost/ made it through the first month without a recall.

Reply to
Davoud

Most Americans apparently don't even know what a clutch pedal even is.

There was a story this week about a car-jacking of a Porsche and the guy got caught because once he got in he realised it was a manual ("stick shift") and didn't know how to drive one.

Most floor mats slide around with foot movement anyway. What they should do is have an in-built framing that the mats can be clipped underneath and held in place.

Reply to
Your Name

SO the driver's mat is a problem, why are they replacing all four?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

NHTSA:

David R. Birch:

Really? You don't get it? Really? The recall said "Subaru has determined that your vehicle is equipped with carpeted floor mats. The resin composition used for the floor mat backing was not manufactured to specification, which can cause the floor mats to curl when exposed to heat."

Mats. The word has an "s" at the end, which is a common means of making an English noun plural; it means /all/ of the floor mats. If this is not a safety issue for the passengers' mats it is a matter of comfort and convenience and appearance.

Reply to
Davoud

The mats might be interchangable - for example, when cleaning the car you might remove all the mats from the car and then not know which was the driver's one.

Besides, Subaru doesn't want to be sued by someone who tripped on the mat getting out of the passenger side. Not being sued is of course is the real reason behind 99% of recalls. :-)

Reply to
Your Name

Ah, yes, we must maintain the appearance of all of the crappy overpriced floor mats because one of them might curl up and get in the way of the driver's foot.

Which has happened to many of the driver's side floor mats in cars I've driven. What might be more helpful is to design one that stayed in place in the first place.

Are you always this obnoxious or is this one of your 28 day cycle "special" days?

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Davoud quoted the NHTSA:

David R. Birch:

Bzzzzzt! Wrong answer again. /All/ of the floor mats have the defect. It is the driver's mat that presents the potential hazard.

I have ever seen this occur with factory floor mats in my many, many years of driving automobiles.

Are you always so quick to use hyperbole and so slow to understand the written word?

Reply to
Davoud

Yawn...

That's a surprise. Based on your contributions to this group, I had thought you were too young to drive.

Just immature for your age? Some never outgrow arrogant and obnoxious.

hyperbole ? hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA noun Rhetoric .

  1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
  2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as ?to wait an eternity.?

Now that you know the definition of the word, use it correctly in a sentence, since your previous use was incorrect.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch