when does that saab / subie come out

I am thinking that might be my next car purchase, I do have a few beefs with subaru but overall love them

I hate the transmissions, that cold weather shudder and sputter drive me up the wall, and I would like to drag the man who designed that over your stereo 2 dollar piece of plastic excuse for a cup holder out into the street and beat him with it. hoping that saab actually puts some thought into their interior and builds it around a subaru with a hoepfully by then better designed transmission or clutch what a shame to hope in such a capable machine and sputter and jerk off the line for the first 5 mins of your drive.

Reply to
Marty

I'm with you on that. Those are basically my only complaints with the vehicle.

Reply to
Rob Munach

subaru with a hoepfully by then better

You know that can be fixed, don't you? Under warrenty in many cases even...

(Not mine, they look at tha SCCA stickers when I roll in and start sharpening their wallet extractors:))

Reply to
Kimball

Reply to
Edward Hayes

FWIW, my '02 Forester had the chattering clutch syndrome, especially when cold, and even more when damp. When I went in for my second oil change, the salesman came out to the service area to ask me how I was enjoying my new Subie, and I mentioned the clutch chatter. He got all serious, and said "Excuse me for a minute". He came back smiling and said there was a service bulletin about the clutches, and when could I bring it in for the fix.

A week later the parts were in, they kept the car for an afternoon, and now the clutch is smooth as "buttah". All no charge under warranty. The invoice had a name for the clutch replacement but I can't think of it now, and the paper is at the office. If you need the name, I'll look it up.

Also, I'm wondering if that 6-speed in the STI is a completely different tranny/clutch package?

...Ron

Reply to
Ron Ginter

As the former owner of a '99 Outback, I disagree! As an example, I felt that the shift linkage in the Subaru was nicer (crisper feel) than that on my '98 Maxima, and thought the clutch was very smooth. In fact, I found it easier to drive the car smoothly (with respect to clutch engagement) when compared to my '02 BMW. I also never noticed any problems in cold weather, although note that "cold" in Philly means 10-20 degrees which of couse isn't all that cold. In any case, I thought that the clutch & shift linkage in the car were great. (But the cupholders DID suck!)

Just another opinion....

Tom in PA

Reply to
Vmcw

now, that's crazy scraple diet talking.

Reply to
dasa

an aftermarket clutch is fine but this is also a trade off as now that you dont have much (if any clutch slip) there is much greater stress on the gearbox.

So your chatter chatter zoom is likely to be one day when launching from lights :chatter xhatter boom

Reply to
Jason Smith