1902 engineers meeting

On another thread, jokes about old cars reminded me of a publication I ran into last month. In 1902 the Pittsburgh society of engineers had a regular meeting, with Hiram P. Maxim as the guest of honor. They talked about what cars should be and predicted just about everything right; 4 cylinders, gasoline, marketed for the middle class, etc.

Wm. Storer called on chemical engineers to find a way to go straight from fuel to electrical power (fuel cells) since electric cars were nicer, but didn't have enough battery storage.

The one guy there who had a car (1900 De Dion) said that he didn't take it out much since the Pittsburgh roads weren't good enough.

Nils K. Hammer

Reply to
synthius2002

This sounds quite accurate.

To be honest, most of the technology to do this was developed in the late 1950s and early 1960s for the space program, but then it pretty much petered out because commercial folks didn't take it over. So I would say this state of affairs remains accurate.

And they are still pretty wretched. Sounds like three for three.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:e004d5d4-2e5a-4529-8af2- snipped-for-privacy@o4g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

You mean Hiram Stevens Maxim, no? He of the eponymous machine gun?

Reply to
Tegger

Sometimes on tv news there is a pothole patrol thingy.People talking about the worst potholes around here. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:22915-4913A208-553@storefull-

3252.bay.webtv.net:

Did they have potholes in 1902? And were they correctly engineered? Not just anybody can make a good pothole, you know.

Reply to
Tegger

Hiram Stevens Maxim was still around in those days, but I'd bet the guy under discussion here was his son, Hiram Percy Maxim -- also an eminent engineer and inventor who had his hand in several of the high technologies of the day, including automobiles.

The younger Maxim wrote of growing up in such company in _A Genius in the Family_, which as put out by Reader's Digest was one of the reading delights of my childhood (not to be mistaken for the memoir of the same title by musician Jacqueline du Pre). He also wrote a book, which I've yet to encounter, about his involvement in the early days of the automobile, called _Horseless Carriage Days_.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote in news:bfac1396-54f6- snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

Right you are. I should have Googled first.

That would be an interesting one to read. You can get it, used, from Amazon.

Reply to
Tegger

He was also into amateur radio big time, founding the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) which is still the primo national organization for amateur radio operators...but all you hams already knew that. A very interesting guy.

Reply to
M.M.