2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads

2004 camry le 4 banger - how do I find the right front brake pads and rotors at the best price?

It's making noises when I brake like scraping metal but very high pitched.

What's the right brand and model number for the pads & rotors?

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Sounds like it is down to the wear indicators.

Run along to the parts supply house with all the relevant vehicle ID information from the ID plate and they should be able to supply you with the correct parts for that car. The information you have supplied here is insufficient for anyone to provide you with the answers you seek.

Reply to
Xeno

Xeno snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au> suggested:\

I did that already and they don't know the friction codes.

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Tried the local Toyota dealer?

Reply to
Xeno

Xeno snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au> suggested:\

It's the first place I tried but they're the dumbest of all. They don't even know what it means to have a friction code.

I always reasoned the dealer is the dumbest of the parts stores. Because nobody ever asks them for a "parts choice". They only have one part. The OEM part. The friction code isn't something they even THINK about. So they're clueless.

I tried to explain it to them but they asked "why do you care"?

If they can't figure out why a cold & hot friction code matters for friction materials that have only one job, cold and hot friction, then I can't help them learn as they're too stupid to learn if they don't know the most basic of the simplest thing.

There's NOTHING more important for friction material. And yet they don't even know what I'm asking of them.

I asked if they could just show me as I can read the friction code right off the correct part, but they didn't want to order it just so that I could look t it.

Parts stores will show me the parts, where I can read the friction code right off the part, but I wouldn't know if it's the OEM friction code.

As for rotors, I'm pretty sure they all work exactly the same.

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Why do you care? Are you racing a 2004 Camry? Are you running this through twisty mountains at high speeds where you worry brake fade might be an issue?

If you're worried about the fading of an FE pad then spend the extra money and buy the FF pad. The friction code has more to do with the kind of driving you are doing than anything else. Likely the dealer parts are the cheapest possible EE pads which will be fine if you're just driving to the supermarket.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Pads

Rotors

Heron

Scott Dorsey snipped-for-privacy@panix.com suggested:\

I did a bad job of stating the question so I apologize to those who are sincerely trying to advise me on this 2.4 liter camry le.

You are correct I didn't explain WHY I want to source OE friction ratings. The reason it matters is that nothing else matters if it's wrong.

The question really is where is the friction code lookup table by vehicle?

For your valid question of why do I care about friction for brake pads. If the OEM pads are EF, then I can then source any EF pads that fit. If the OEM pads are GG, then I can then source any GG pads that fit. If the OEM pads are FF, then I can then source any FF pads that fit. If the OEM pads are FG, then I can then source any FG pads that fit. (This goes on for a while so I'll stop there.)

I wouldn't think of sourcing anything other than the OE friction codes.

I saw a RockAuto lookup from another helpful person for CENTRIC 10208280. I'll call RockAuto to ask them to look at the friction codes.

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Heron snipped-for-privacy@ipanywhere.com suggested:\

Thank you all for your advice and for that all important rockauto pointer. Without a pointer to a supplier, I was lost.

I found that shipping was a killer with RockAuto so I then tried Carid which gave me free shipping on the rotors (but shipping was a killer on easy stuff like oil pan drain bolts so I didn't buy them as the shipping was more than seven times the cost of the bolt).

I also tried something called "partsgeek" which also had good prices. I ended up getting the Centric pads and rotors but I still don't know the friction rating.

Here are the three sites I think are best. If you have BETTER SITES please help me for the next purchase online!

    (they match rockauto for final price)

I decided to get both the front and rears, pads and slabs and the extra hardware (four springs and two wear indicators for the fronts).

It's amazing that the most important thing about brake pads is so hard to find but the prices were less than half (maybe even a quarter) of what they were at the local parts stores (and about 1/10th the dealer).

It's just amazing that the most important thing about a brake pad is so hard to find. It's not like a brake pad has a more important job than friction.

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Ohderii_Cruiser <Ohderii snipped-for-privacy@downhill.carving.invalid> suggested:\It turns out the friction code is GG for the Centric pads. Centric 301.09080 stamped CEN 30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19

Four steel rubberized backing plates came with the 4 front pads.
The hardware kit P117.44068 came with 4 holding clips & 2 wear sensors.
Does anyone know why the deep slit in the friction material is there?

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

I don't know why the deep slit. Maybe it's a manufacturing requirement? Or for a wear indicator? Or maybe for noise? Or for water?

The edge codes are explained here.

I didn't find your edge code in this 2011 AMECA List of Edge Codes document
It wasn't in the 2014 AMECA list of edge codes either.
Maybe they're counterfeit?

Reply to
Andrew J. Luck

It's to remove gas buildup from between the pads and the discs. It's the exact same reason discs are often slotted or drilled. If the gasses from the pad surfaces, that build up under extreme braking, isn't provided with an escape path, the pads act like mini hovercrafts skating over (*above*) the disc surface resulting in a total *loss* of friction. Guess what that does to your braking ability!

Reply to
Xeno

Is that gas discharge why the edges are chamfered also?

Ohderii_Cruiser

No, the chamfer helps to reduce noise - as in brake squeal. It prevents the pads developing a high speed chatter (vibration) that creates the squeal. It is also the function of the shims behind the pad. Some people use brake paste behind the pad to dampen the chatter thereby reducing the squealing tendency. Whatever works...

It also promotes even pad wear - so they say - but I'm not sure how it manages that.

Reply to
Xeno

Xeno snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au> suggested:\

Thanks for explaining the chamfer is to reduce noise. I had asked the internet supplier for pads meeting the OE spec. He gave me these Centric GG pads which are "ceramic". Do you think a GG NAO or ceramic or semi-metallic would brake the same?

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

Probably not since they are different compounds. Since all might be GG rated, then the actual braking effect itself might match to a degree, where they will differ is in their ability to handle and dissipate heat and, equally importantly, manage *disc rotor wear*. Bottom line, your choice of brakepad type will be determined by your driving style. The ceramics would be fine for most use and their manner of operation tends to contribute to longer disc life. On the other hand, if you tow heavy loads or are a bit of a tearaway and brake hard, low metallic or semi metallic might work better for you. The downside will be that those pads will wear the disc much more.

Reply to
Xeno

Xeno snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au> suggested:\

Thanks for that additional information about the wear of the rotors which I hadn't thought about until you said it. The GG is only the friction but there are other things to consider but most of which we would never know.

I really only wanted OE quality at decent prices.

I think the GG must mean the braking is similar to a degree as you said, simply because the friction is the same between GG ceramic, NAO, and semi-metallic, but within a wide range of whatever the GG range allows.

But that GG says nothing about anything else, as you said. I wish I could have found a lookup for the original pads friction rating.

I was surprised that the parts supplier sent me a GG pad by the way. Does the rating go any higher than GG or is GG as high as it gets?

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

OE quality is pretty crappy. I don't think you can get pads as bad as OEM pads from any reputable suppliers. The manufacturer fits the car with the worst tires and brake pads they think they can get away with.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Scott Dorsey snipped-for-privacy@panix.com suggested:\

I don't disagree that OE might be crappy, but in most things safety related, nobody will put on WORSE replacement parts, than OE, right?

However, these OE replacements are GG, which, in terms of cold & hot friction, is damn good, don't you think?

Friction is job 1 for a brake pad & there isn't much better than GG.

I don't know though, what the OE friction codes are.

Reply to
Ohderii_Cruiser

AMuzi