2004 Xterra Will Not Communicate With Ca Smog Machine.......?

Went to have a smog test done today and the smog place told me that that their smog machine cannot communicate with my 2004 Nissan Xterra XE 2.4L 4 cyl.....? Now the really odd thing is that the OBD2 scanners are able to analyze see and and diagnose the OBD2 system......? This really bizarre and aggravating grrr....!!!

Reply to
Randall Shimizu

Talked to the Nissan dealer and a mechanic they think it's the computer.

Reply to
Randall Shimizu

Is this a state where the dealer can do the smog test, or only a state station can do it?

And do you have ANY idea what the error message from the analyzer was? It might just be a case of the computer having got inadvertently reset recently, and the analyzer refusing to accept such a short log... but you don't know until you see the messages.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I went back to smog place and the technician told me that they were able read the OBD2 system and check for code. But the problem was that the smog machine was unable to transfer data. I went through and checked all the ground and performed voltage tests as well. So this leads me to believe that something is wrong with the ECU. I ordered another used ECU. I need to find out their is a way to check for ECU/ OBD data transfer.

Reply to
Randall Shimizu

What does "unable to transfer data" mean? Checking for error codes requires some data being transferred. Are they trying to check the logs? Are they looking to see if tables have been altered? Clearly the physical interface is good, otherwise they would not have been able to check for error codes.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey