Latest threads in Automotive Technologiesshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

mopar's 'orange box'
I want to by-pass the stock electronic control unit that connects to the stock distributor on my '84 Dodge Caravan. I see that the mopar's 'orange box' or ignition control module is used with ignition...
17
17

high emissions both HC and NOx
How can it be that CO is low but both HC and NOx are high? 81 VW Scirocco with 255K mi. Since last check, car only driven 3300 mi short trips. 1st check: Initially low CO and NOx but high HC. Changed...
4
4

Change a Camry from cloth to leather seats?
Dear Experts, I'm thinking of retiring my beloved Camry now. 1997 Camry XLE, V6. It's got 180K miles and a needs a little work to be done on it. But I like it soooo much. I've looked at a few other...
1
1

Fuel Gauge Problem
Any one had this happen: '02 Toyoda Tundra 4x4: on my last fill up the fuel gauge didn't respond and is still days later stuck on almost empty. Not a blown fuse, not a vapor lock, all other gauges...
3
3

CVT Transmission Questions
Hello, Just trying to learn a bit. Re the CVT type of transmissions that I guess the Altima and the Maxima have, what is the principle of their operation, basically ? How different from the "regular"...
13
13

What is Water For Gas?
We all know the problems these high prices cause for the average driver but what can be done about it?
27
27

Weird brake noise
It's my 2001 Impala, 70K. When braking, I can hear kinda "bell ring" noise, like a jack hammer is working somewhere far away. The harder the brake is applied, the louder the noise. When car windows...
1
1

Saab WIS
Hello, I am looking for Saab WIS for 9-3 1998 to 2003 (9400). If you know where I can download a copy or could email it to me, please let me know. Thanks
3
3

basic Hall-effect distributor wiring
Given that the basic Hall-effect distributor will require one wire for ground, a second wire for voltage supply or reference voltage, and a third wire for output signal. Probably the best question to...
40
40

Re: Odd acceleration problem
"MC" wrote: (1995 Dodge Caravan, 140K miles) Poor acceleration, especially when restarting with warm engine after having turned it off for a few minutes, but also soon after starting with cold engine....
2
2

1989 Subaru GL 1.8l won't stay lit
Been sitting since April, I have started it a few times over the summer, but yesterday I went to move it to prep it for winter, and it wouldn't start. I opened the hood and checked the usual suspects,...
3
3

93 Chevy Blazer S10, brakes freeze up
At seemingly random times I will go to push the brake pedal only to find that it wont budge. Most often the resistance wont last more than a second or two but I have on rare occasion had to use the...
1
1

Does the thermostat need replaced?
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. The temp gauge is reading at the bottom and won't budge, even after I drive for an hour. Also, the A/C doesn't work and this morning I tried to drive it again and the check...
4
4

Ranger shuddering when turning in reverse
I?ve got a 98 Ranger, 5-spd manual, 4x4 off-road. When backing up, if the wheel is turned in one direction there is an intense shuddering that feels like it?s coming from somewhere in the rear of the...
13
13

taurus water pump mount
I just flushed out my 97 Taurus block and radiator and am preparing to put a new water pump on it. Before on earlier cars, i put RTV on both sides of the gasket, or just used the copper glue or such...
1
1