Air compressor lubricant

I have been given an older air compressor, and have no documentation on it. The oil in the compressor is black and has some water in it, so I am washing it out with tranny fluid and allowing it to drain clean.

What would you guess is the best oil to put back into this compressor?

30 weight non detergent? Or does it really matter very much?
Reply to
HLS

They usually take compressor oil. That's what mine calls for. The dino oil version isn't much good below freezing, likely that 30 weight so if you want winter use a synthetic works best.

I would see if the company that made the compressor is still around and check there.

I checked the imperial oil site, and they sell a bunch of compressor oils dependent on the type of compressor.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I have a 220v , 2 stage compressor. I use: Dayton Air Compressor OIl Model A-???88A SAE 30

*Rust and corrosion protection *Excellent oxidation and thermal stability *Anti-foam protection *Non-detergent *Resists carbon formation *Harmful or fatal if swallowed *Avoid contact with skin or eyes!!!
Reply to
Paul

Thanks all. Compressor oil shouldnt cost very much (uses less than a quart) if I can find it here in One Horse, Texas.

Reply to
HLS

About a year ago, I gave my old twin cylinder Sears Craftsman air compressor to an old buddy.That air compressor was leaking oil into the air line.I bought a new oiless air compressor. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You bought a new oiless compressor???? Sorry, buddy, but you bought a P.O.S. If it lasts a year you'll be lucky.... If you can put up with the noise you're probably half deaf already... These compressors use a teflon coated piston that will fail quickly especially if put under any stress....

Reply to
BobJ

One Horse, Texas is where they MAKE the oil.

Try Royal Purple. They have some excellent compressor oils, and they are somewhere in Texas too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Just order some compressor oil from the online store at

.

Reply to
Joe Brophy

Sears, Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot should have compressor oil.........you got to have one of these stores in one horse Texas. If not go to two horse Texas. If they don't have try the shack out on La Grange...

good luck,

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Home Depot (and all sorts of other places) sell "compressor oil." My guess is that its 30-weight non-detergent with minimal additives. It smells/looks/feels a whole lot like the clear type of power steering fluid. Its also probably more readily available than straight 30-weight non-detergent oil these days.

The most critical single thing is to use a non-detergent oil so that it doesn't entrain water that blows by the compressor rings in the form of vapor, and then re-condenses in the oil. You want that to settle to the bottom of the sump and stay there. All other characteristics of the oil are really secondary.

Reply to
Steve

My cheap old Campbell-Hausfeld -HP oilless compressor is probably about

15 years old by now. Nary a problem. It doesn't get daily hard use, but its seen a LOT of hours over that 15 year period. Oilless compressors are a lot better than they were 30 years ago. I also have an even older 5-horse 2-cylinder compressor (oil type) that does the heavy work like running the blast cabinet, grinders, cut-off wheels, and most painting, but the oilless one is a lot easier to haul around.
Reply to
Steve

Some industries such as food industries and pharmacetical industries and hospitals have to use oiless compressors.Just like many other things, air compressors come in a wide range of quality and prices.

Those old Jiggs and Maggie cartoons of many years ago in the comic books and newspaper comic strips,,, (I remember them well) back in the 1950s Ford used to have some great big Jiggs posters on the walls or hanging around in the Ford factories of Jiggs saying, SURE, AND QUALITY COUNTS!

I am sold on oiless air compressors.Have you ever tried to spray paint something and oil is in the air line? I can tell you it doesn't work!

I think 30 weight motor oil for the kinds of air compressors that are lubricated with oil is as good as anything else.That is probally what the gas stations/service stations/auto repair shops many years ago used anyway.The oil cap on the Briggs & Stratton engine on little walk behind lawn mower says to use 30 weight oil. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have a 12-year-old 6.1 CFM @ 90 PSI Campbell-Hausfeld oilless. It is very noisy but otherwise works fine. Could it be that some people's oilless compressors fail quickly because they don't break them in? The instructions for mine called for running the thing for

30 minutes at zero PSI before putting it to regular use.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Reply to
mr158912

Gasoline engines and Diesel engines are nothing more than gloryfied air pumps.Think about it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That little shack out near the underpass? ;>) Ol' Marvin sure got stuffy about having a chicken ranch operating in Texas.

Reply to
HLS

Use 30 or 40, if it's really old and worn, non-detergent. You may have trouble getting 40 so you'll be stuck with the 30 wt. You can also add that Lucas oil additive product, oil stabilizer, I think. It is heavy in molibdenum. If you get oil in the lines build a trap, drain and add a good filter.

disston

Reply to
disston

Lucas oil additives = no way in hell in anything I own:

Steve