Android OBDII software

I've been using an old HF $15 wired OBDII tester for a decade or more, but when I scanned a friend's car for her today, her neighbor came over to see what the commotion was, and then he came back to give me a Christmas gift.

It's a blue plastic OBD adapter with "ELM 327 mini Interace" on the sticker. He said he kept one in each vehicle, so he just pulled it out of his bimmer.

All it says otherwise is "Supports all OBDII protocols" but it doesn't have any brand or model identifier. He said it works (as he said some don't work).

He said I could get software for it on the net, so I ran an AppFinder search for free ad free Android apps rated over 4.0 with no in-app purchases, etc.

There were 18 results for free, adfree & inapppurchasefree, but when I raised the sort slider to exclude those with less than a 4.0 rating, only 2 showed up. *ULTRA OBD OBD2 CAR SCANNER ELM* by XAS Applications free,adfree,gsf?,rated 4.4 stars in 320 reviews with 10K+ Downloads

*OBD Diag & Scan* by clickshopping.fr free,adfree,gsf?,rated 4.2 stars in 382 reviews with 50K+ Downloads

When I lowered the filtering criteria below 4.0, one more showed up.

*Smart Control OBD2 Scanner ELM* by SmartApps4Me free,adfree,gsf?,rated 3.9 stars in 2.94K reviews with 100K+ Downloads

Further lowering the filtering below 3.7 brought up another app. *ELM OBD Terminal* by CHINH LUONG QUOC free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated 3.6 stars in 25 reviews with 5K+ Downloads

Lowering filters to 3.5 brings up yet another set of free OBDII ELM apps. *alOBD Scanner* by Alexandre Beloussov free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated 3.5 stars in 130 reviews with 50K+ Downloads

Which seems to have a command-line terminal CLI utility. *alOBD Terminal* by Alexandre Beloussov free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated 3.1 stars in 72 reviews with 10K+ Downloads

Lowering filters to 3.4 brings up more free OBDII ELM apps. *CCY OBD MOBILE - for ELM327 an* by CCY - DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACES free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated no stars with 5K+ Downloads

And then there are the apps which have too few reviews to be rated. *X-ELM* by v-checker free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated no stars with 100+ Downloads

*Dashboard Racing 695* by Laurent CASSIER free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated 5.0 stars in 77 reviews with 10K+ Downloads
*Infocar Connect - Diagnostics* by Infocar Connect AB free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated no stars with 10K+ Downloads
*Escaner coche ELM OBD Autoxuga* by Autoxuga Movil, SL free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated no stars with 500+ Downloads
*Escaner coche ELM OBD2 tecnico* by Autoxuga Movil, SL free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,rated no stars with 1+ Downloads

Given all that above... (all of which I've now installed on my Galaxy)...

Do any of you out there use these inexpensive bluetooth scanners on your car? Do you have recommendations as to what software and which features you prefer?

Is the use as simple as just setting up bluetooth on my phone and plugging this OBDII into the car's OBD port under the driver's cockpit dash board.

Do you leave them in all the time (the guy who gave it to me says he does).

I'll test it out tomorrow - but I figured I'd ask now that I've run the search for the free OBDII software that has no ads or in-app purchases.

Reply to
Wally J

I've used Torque for several years - although I don't need to use it very often. The Lite version is free but may have ads (can't remember) - but the Pro version only costs peanuts - currently just under 5 US dollars.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Thanks. I should have mentioned the gift giver mentioned that app, while the apps I listed are all ad free (and in-app-purchase free).

However, I've already nixed most of them as apps get one strike and they're out, where just asking for an account is considered a first strike.

Since we always want everyone to benefit from every action, I went looking for links, but it seems a lot of OBDII scanners glom off the Torque name.

Which of those is the "real" torque app?

Reply to
Wally J
<snip>

I've used Torque Pro for many years. Well worth the cost.

I've found that the best ELM327 adapter is the one from Carista. The lower cost ones from Aliexpress often have connection issues.

Carista also sells vehicle-specific software, for some makes, that goes beyond the generic OBD-II capabilities and that lets you program a bunch of features of the vehicle. But I've never purchased that software.

Before I go for a smog check I always check that all the self-tests on the vehicle are complete. On one of my vehicles that I don't drive a lot I disconnect the battery when not in use so the self-tests all need to complete before I go for a smog check.

Reply to
sms

The REAL ones (LITE and PRO) are the ones by Ian Hawkins.

Reply to
Roger Mills

sms snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com wrote

Understandably, whether or not an app is "well worth the cost" is dependent on a few things, like your approach to privacy where it's sort of like saying I installed drilled & slotted rotors and it's well worth the cost - point being it's in the eye of the beholder... but still - I ran a few searches and that's the app that comes up most it seems (along with the freebie Torque Lite, even though the product is relatively poorly rated on the Google Play Store (3.6 and 4.1) for some reason that I didn't explore).

*Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car)* by Ian Hawkins, Contains ads free,has ads,req gsf,rated 3.6star in 50.5K reviews w/ 10M+Downloads
*Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car)* by Ian Hawkins, $5 payware $5,noads,req gsf,rated 4.1star in 76.4K reviews w/ 1M+Downloads

That name brand ELM327 reader is probably good to have as there's no way of telling just by looking at the thing whether it works well or not.

For my bimmer I have INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman software, which runs off the Windows XP PC. :)

Oddly enough though, I find the plug in OBDII readers easiest to use.

Steve lives in Cupertino where three types of smog checks are required on cars older than about 7 or 8 years (as I recall), one of which is an EVAP test on vehicles older than 1995 where it helps to fill your gas tank (as they have to fill it with the "blue" gas - which I think is "argon").

The second type is for vehicles older than 2000, which require running on the dynamometer and the third type is 2000 and newer which just requires an OBDII test off the cockpit port under the dash.

What Steve is referring to as a "self test", I'm not sure what he means, but depending on the year, you're allowed a certain small number of specific readiness monitors (often called "I/M") to be unset so it's always best to drive the car for the requisite "drive cycle" to set the monitors.

They will instantly fail a vehicle if you've cleared the codes such that all the readiness monitors are unset - so - as Steve noted, it's important to check the OBDII before taking it to the shop for the smog testing.

I know the drive cycle for my bimmer inside and out where a LOT of people do NOT understand the drive cycle - much like they don't understand how an operating system is updated, as they guess that they're all the same.

They're not.

Every brand has their own very specific drive cycle, where while some can be done in about 11 miles in toto (i.e., the original LA freeway circuit), most take about fifty or so miles and two days to complete (as one test is from a stone-cold start for example, as the secondary air pump has to be operated).

There are times when I've had problems with the readiness monitors such that it takes over a hundred miles to finally set them - as the details get complicated in terms of what other sensors in the vehicle have to be (e.g., even the altitude or the coolant temperature can prevent self tests).

I didn't finish testing the dozen free ad free apps yet, but I did install Torque Lite which hasn't shown ads yet but I'm sure it will soon. Most of the dozen apps were ditched because they only get one strike & they're out.

Reply to
Wally J

Roger Mills snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Thanks. I found those and list their URL below for others to benefit from every action we take - where the free has ads & the pro is about 5 bucks. *Torque Lite (OBD2 & Car)* by Ian Hawkins, Contains ads free,has ads,req gsf,rated 3.6star in 50.5K reviews w/ 10M+Downloads

*Torque Pro (OBD 2 & Car)* by Ian Hawkins, $5 payware $5,noads,req gsf,rated 4.1star in 76.4K reviews w/ 1M+Downloads

Here's a review on them, although it suggests a $100 ELM27

(which is about $90 to $95 too much for such things if you ask me). *Monitor your car's performance with the Torque app for Android*

In a lot of apps, the "pro" feature is just a way to turn off ads, but in this app, they seem to be adding features which the article says are...

Pro features Torque Pro can also display calculated values (such as 0-60 time, trip distance, or quarter-mile times).

Torque Pro can even calculate estimates for fuel economy, horsepower, and -- of course -- torque.

Users of the Pro version of Torque can map their vehicle speed on a Google Map.

Pro users also have the ability to share their gauges via Facebook or periodically broadcast location data or reported values to Twitter after logging in to either of these services.

In addition to the built-in functions, Pro users can also install plug-ins to further extend the functionality of the Torque app.

In summary, all that stuff is nice, but what I'd really want is an audible alarm when the readiness monitors are all set - as when you hear that during your bi-annual smog inspection period, you can make an immediate emergency u-turn and head to the nearest smog station.

If you don't know what I mean, you've never owned an older bimmer. :)

Reply to
Wally J
<snip>

Also, unless things have changed, Torque is not available for iOS. The original issue was the the Bluetooth ELM327 adapters use the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP) which Apple forgot to include on iOS

so ELM327 adapters to use with iOS were Wi-Fi and were less common and more expensive. A few newer ELM327 adapters, like the Carista, are BLE; SPP capability is built into BLE.

Reply to
sms

And this is "good information" because... ...why?

There are LOTS of Bluetooth OBD adapters that work with iOS OBD apps.

I know this...

...because I have one:

And I use it with their own software:

But in case you think that's magic because it's their own app, I also use this:

<https://bimmercode.app>

(Hmmmmmmm... ...now WHY could I possibly need "BIMMERCODE"...

...if I don't have a BMW? 😎)

And from it's pages on compatibility:

<https://bimmercode.app/adapters/?series=e>

Note all the Bluetooth OBD adapters.

😉

This certainly isn't one of them.

The OBDLinkCX I use doesn't HAVE WiFi.

You never look beyond the source that reinforces your preconceived notion...

...do you?

They don't "get" them to work.

They just buy the adapter and the appropriate app...

...and it works.

Supposition unsupported by any facts.

And yet, iOS CAN easily do this...

...so perhaps you're the one with the problem.

😜
Reply to
Alan

Since you were asking about *Android* OBDII software, the issue of whether or not it works on Apple devices is completely irrelevant

Reply to
Roger Mills

But, but...

...how could Arlen survive if he couldn't make erroneous claims about what will and what won't work on Apple devices?

;-)

Reply to
Alan

Steve hasn't posted in this thread at all that I can see.

Show the posting id of the post and a quote.

Because making an anonymous account ID is SO hard...

<snip>
Reply to
Alan