Best Rated threads in Automotive Technologiesshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Material for battery terminal bolts?
Hi all, am trying to "rust proof" a vehicle... when I got it the old battery had spewed acid everywhere and destroyed not only itself, but the coating on the hold down and all of the battery cables. I...
14
14

Service engine light and stalling
Buick Lesabre 2002. I had to stop short this morning, and immediately the engine started sputtering. It came back to life if I rev it. I started to smell gas from the vents, which were blowing....
36
36

Need paint code??
I'm try to find the paint codes for Toyota Signal Yellow paint before 2010. Not doing well with Google. I purchased a rebuilt Mini pickup and they swear that is the color they used, it was a multi...
9
9

Coolant Loss: Radiator Cap ?
Hi, Son has a 2005 Accord, 6 cyl., with 135,000 miles on it. Seems to be continually losing coolant. Not "massively," but the overflow jug is perhaps down about 1/3 for every 100 miles or so. Dealer...
17
17

2004 Honda Pilot - turning key in ignition often won't start the car (need to press FOB unlock button again)
A friend has a 2004 Honda Pilot. Often he will insert and turn the key in the ignition and it won't start. If he presses the unlock botton on his keychain FOB, it then allows the car to start....
2
2

Nissan Xterra power steering fluid?
web search only says "Nissan PS fluid." do you have to buy it from Nissan dealer or is FLAPS PS fluid acceptable? Friend's GF has an Xterra that is leaking PS fluid from the hose leading from the...
6
6

fix dangling overhead console/reading lamp assembly
1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra The plastic overhead console (containing reading lamps and switches and sunroof switch) has broken clips and falls out of its recess in the ceiling and dangles by its...

Lincoln Mark VIII Power steering noise. Pump or hose?
I went to start my car and my steering wheel was stiff and there was a loud noise around my serpentine belt. I replaced my power steering hose, but the attachment was non-standard and I asked a piping...
2
2

Altima 2002 cranks but won't start
I'm working on my buddy's 2002 Altima. It cranks and acts like it's trying to start but doesn't start. He let triple-a look at it first and they found the valve cover gasket was leaking and one of the...
9
9

Emissions test failure - no OBDII communication
I have a '97 Lexus ES300 (131K miles). My Connecticut Emissions test failed today due to no OBDII communication. The guy said he couldn't get a reading. He suggested it could be as simple as a blown...
7
7

replacement knob for ac/heater on Olds 88 (1999)
I'm looking for a replacement knob (or preferrably a better knob such as was on my 96 Chev Lumina) for the cheap plastic knob(s) on my ac/ heater controls of my Oldsmobile 88 (1999). The post looks...
1
1

Symptoms of Mechanical Fuel Pump Failure
Working w/ an '84 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 (w/ carb). Found fuel leaking out the bottom of the fuel pump. Pulled it and replaced it. I noticed a small hole on the back side of diaphragm. I think this...
3
3

McPherson Struts - Cost to modify top mounts to add Caster??
I own a 2008 Kia Optima with bread&butter McPherson strut front suspension. I'm looking to add anywhere from 1/2 to 1 degree of additional caster for the reasons most drivng enthusiasts would want to....
14
14

95 Impala SS no start
I have a 1995 Impala SS 5.7L LT1. 140K miles, strong running, but occasionally will not start. After it sits for for a while it will start. It always cranks fine but wont fire. Sometimes it tries to...
2
2

Tire Rotation Question
Hello, a. What is the current thinking regarding the number of miles that a passenger car (with all-season tires) should accumulate between tire rotations ? b. Is it necessary to have the wheels...
29
29

automatic transmission problem. continued
continued: first shop said it could be cruise control down shift or needed a trans rebuild $1800. second shop (private transmission shop) found that it was the torque converter. $1300. They said they...
11
11

94 Caravan transmission question
Hello. First off I am sorry if I keep asking questions about this same van as I am sure you are all busy people. But my brother is very poor and he can not afford a new or different vehicle so I try...
5
5

2000 Mazda Protege ES: Might need air conditioner clutch. Remove AC instead
Crap! My 2000 Mazda Protege ES makes a rattling sound when the AC comes on. Took a look and the pulley has wobble to it. Bottom line I'm gonna need either a new AC compressor/clutch ...or just take...
5
5

Re: 2000 malibu 3.1 engine shuts off while driving, after stopping the car and turning key off, it starts and runs fine for awhile, then shuts off again, IT MAY BE FIXED NOW !! Hurray.
New developement, HOPEFULLY ITS FIXED>> FINGERS CROSSED> Yesterday, we completed the crankshaft sensors replacement, and plunked in a new crankshaft oil seal while its apart. We took it for a test run...

GMC 1991 s15 Jimmy tuning problem
I have a 1991 GMC s15 jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3L 'Z' engine. It has 197K miles and has been in the family since new. A couple of weeks ago, the idle started to run very high and the "service engine soon"...
14
14