Car won't start, TPS question

(99 Cavalier 2.2 auto) ... Which suddenly won't start. Cranks, has spark. No diagnostic codes. I haven't checked fuel yet (the pump does run), because I'm having
trouble disconnecting the GD 'quick disconnects'. For now, I'll leave that till later.
Using 'Proscan' OBD software (on a laptop), the coolant and intake temp sensors look OK. The Throttle Position Sensor shows a reading of '0', which doesn't change when I move the throttle. The actual voltage measured at the sensor is OK.
So, my questions: - Should the TPS reading on the scanner indicate correctly, even though the engine isn't running? (I think it would.)
- If the TPS signal was bad (like a broken wire between the sensor and the computer), would this keep the engine from starting?
Thanks, George
George wrote:

Yes.

No.
The TPS issue may have existed previously, or more likely the source of both it and the non-start problem is mice chewing on the wiring, and in addition to the TPS wiring, they probably ate wiring to the fuel injectors as well. If you have a mechanics stethoscope or even just put your ear close you should be able to hear the injectors click when they fire while you have someone else crank the engine.

codes.

,
lol How did you diagnose "mice"?!?! lol
You should get a TPS reading of around .75, with key on/engine off or running at idle.