deep cycle battery for car?

Hi all...

I have a car I often take on weekend camping trips...

These trips happen 2 or 3 times a month...and usually cover 2 days and nights...

Anyway, on these trips I generally need ( ...well could use...) ALOT of power for recharging and running widgets I bring along.....

I have on rare occasion used a normal car battery for power and have gotten away with draining the car battery down pretty far......

It is my understanding that draining a normal car battery down to around 50 to

80 percent of its amp hour capacitymore than a few times is a BAD thing to do .....

However, it also my understanding that deep cycle batteries DONT mind this NEARLY as much....

So, Id like to have this remote power more often and its about time for a new car battery....so my question is....

Can I use a deep cycle/"trolling motor" battery as a replacement for a normal car battery?

Note that my car starts very easily and living in the southeast I am usually starting my car in temps warmer than 60 and almost allways warmer than 40 degrees F.

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
BllFs6

Surely. I recommend an Optima Yellow Top.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

Reply to
phil w

Hi Guys....

thanks for the reply and info....

so it sounds to me like the only downside of using a deep cycle battery is that I wont quite have as much "omppph" when it comes to cranking/starting my car?

thanks again

Bill

Reply to
BllFs6

It depends. A traditional deep cycle battery trades oomph for time. But if you step up to the newer technology batteries like AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat), you can get both. If you go to this URL:

and scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see the battery that I am using in both my RV and my old car. They aren't cheap, but the one in the RV has lasted 2 years with no problems, where it killed a marine deep-cycle in 7 months.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Bose