disable daytime running lights

I have a 2002 Cevy one ton van. The daytime running lights are intermittent. Sometimes they work fine but most often they blink at a steady quick rate. I really have no interest in fixing them. I would just like there to be no daytime running lights. Can this easily be done on this van? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462002

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:69b45459-dff0-4f3a-bc13- snipped-for-privacy@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

Try here:

Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

I was under the impression that it's required for a vehicle in Canada to be road legal - certainly one as recent as that.

Reply to
fred

Not all posters are from Canada... and even if he is, there's nothing stopping him from just using his low beams. In fact, if you buy the theory that lights make you more conspicuous, that would be safer - then his taillights and side markers would be lit as well. (why it's important to see the front of the car but not the rest, I don't know)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Arrgh. I've got groups from my province, groups from my city, groups from my country and the rest. Simple brain fade related to that. Still where the OP's from it *might* be a reg (yeah, that's it, that's the ticket says Jon Lovitz).

Reply to
fred

fred wrote in news:Xns9C2EBB6BB622Bfred@127.0.0.1:

Trasport Canada requires DRLs on all cars newly built for, or newly imported for, the Canadian market. This rule covers all vehicles built since (I think) June '89.

However, once the car is licensed for the road in some province or territory, provincial rules take over from the federal ones, and the Transport Canada rule becomes moot.

Most provinces (such as mine) do not appear to have specific rules governing the day-to-day functionality of DRLs. In fact, surplus cop cars in my province are sold to the public without their DRLs enabled, which is why you see so many taxi Crown Vics with their lights off.

Reply to
Tegger

you should be able to disable it using the switch off of the emergency brake.

Reply to
CEG

Well I'm not in Canada so I don't have to worry about DRL's and for what its worth if you can't see my huge white van coming down the road in the middle of the day with its lights off then as far as I'm concerned you probably should be the passenger rather than the driver. BTW, I don't understand "switch off of the emergency brake". Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:39755dad-7145-4ea6-a824- snipped-for-privacy@j12g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Many DRL systems use the parking brake lever switch as an indicator to the DRL module that the car is not in motion. In other words, if the parking brake is ON, the module turns the DRLs OFF.

As far as I know, all manufacturers use this only on engine start-up. Once the parking brake lever is moved to OFF for the first time after start-up, the DRLs are on permanently ON until the next ignition-off, regardless of the position of the parking brake lever.

You'll notice that some people have DRLs that are ON even when the engine is not running, or when the starter is cranking. These are people who never use their parking brakes.

The upshot is that a common strategy is to fool the DRL module into thinking the parking brake is ON all the time. These days this often involves monkeying with the DRL module or the wiring to it. Both our cars have the DRLs disabled through the parking brake route.

Some manufacturers have TSBs that outline official disabling procedures. These are issued to their dealerships so the technicians can perform a correct DRL disable for you.

has a lot more info.

Reply to
Tegger

Agreed. But lots of people shouldn't be driving. If your headlights gets the attention of one of these that might otherwise not see your monster van then the extra amps are well spent...

BTW there is a well traveled 2 lane highway near here (Buckeye to Gila Bend AZ) that substantially reduced headon collisions by requiring headlights be used during daylight hours on all vehicles.

Reply to
AJL