Fuel filters and water passage...

Will automotive fuel filters allow water to pass through them?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Yes, but often any water that is in the fuel system will be pretty cruddy and that can plug the filter.

-jim

Reply to
jim

The reason I ask is that I've just had a person tell me that fuel filters have been required by the EPA to have "hydrophobic" coatings since the 1980s. This was supposedly intended to prevent water from reaching the upper regions of fuel-injection systems.

Much Googling failed to turn up any confirmation of any such regulation.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

most likely after they have become fully saturated (wet-out), up to a point. the minute

amount of water (condensation) that accumulates in the gas tank - shouldn't be a problem.

to use an automotive gas filter for long term water filtration should not be used

for potable water filtering, there is a better method available.

if you have water in the gas tank, there are products on the market when used for their intended purpose - allows the water

and gasoline to mix - and exhausted through the fuel system. water accumulating in a gas tank can cause

rusting conditions that lead to problems including gas tank leakage (pinholes). don't over do the moisture removal thingy.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

  1. I can't imagine such a coating would do any good, since the pressure across the filter is pretty considerable.
  2. I have seen water reaching the upper regions of fuel injection systems more than once. Surprisingly never saw engine damage from it, though. But if there were such coatings, they didn't help.

Why would the EPA even care? The DOT, I could believe.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Problem with that would be where would the water go? It wouldn't take much to block the flow entirely. There are I believe EPA regulations that are designed to keep water out of fuel storage tanks. This is intended to protect underground water caused by rusting at the bottom of storage tanks. It has the unintended consequence that there is much less chance of getting water in your fuel than there was 30 years ago.

-jim

Reply to
jim

there are certain gasoline additives that treats gas that has moisture in it by making the water mixable with gas and is

put through the system as if a combustible.when this happens the engine should get a "steam cleaning".:--)

s t p might have a product that eradicates water from the gas tank.

there is also speculation that the in-line gas filters on cars will need to be changed at a greater frequency -

if and when gasoline with ethanol is used, especially until the system is "cleaned" throughly.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

out of fuel >storage tanks. =3D=3D water weighs more than gasoline, so it stands to reason that it is going to be on the bottom of the tank - when the liquid is static.

guys handling gasoline are familiar with the ways to protect gasoline while it is in their custody.

storage tanks I belive are serviced on a regular basis to help keep the gasoline - pure.

more than likely the water contamination factor is created over time - and especially when gas tanks have room for

condensation to happen due to the low volume of gas in the tank, that is one

reason gas tanks should never be allowed to get too low on gas, and when water

exists in the tank, get rid of it with additives made for that purpose.

mho v=83e

Reply to
fiveiron

I would think that a hydrophobic coating on the filter element would prevent the filter element itself from "wetting out" and thus partially preventing fuel from flowing through it.

Reply to
Jon C

some filters have coating.i remember silicone was used in the description. in common use with diesel.not common with other fuels i wouldnt think..some after market filters can opererate in 2 directions.one will have the crud drop away,the other suspends the crud for removal.a discision is made on how much crud the engine will operate in.and how much servicing..nothing is perfect.

i dont like holding the crud in the element as i find they fall apart and block up downstream.for military vehicle ive had to swap them around. most of the time filters are just to stop things getting blocked.

the idea is that the moisure beads on the coating until it grows heavy enough to drop away.i believe if the water is mixed into the fuel in very small amounts it will still pass.if the filter is big enough there should be very little pressure on the element.this is measured by a pressure drop across the filter.the fuel line might be 8-12 mm Dia the element surface area is hugh.

if your after cheep water filters go for a stra> Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

Reply to
davehoos