FWD vs. RWD

When I bought my 1948 Willys Jeep for $300.00 a few years ago, the Jeep was worn out, it is still worn out now, two burnt valves.If I ever get around to rebuilding my Jeep, I reckon I will find out what four wheel drive is like.

I know of two local area guys whom restored their old Jeeps.One of the Jeeps is a World War Two Jeep, the guy works in the parts department at a local Volvo truck dealership.The other guy owns a 1951 Jeep.

On the web, Brian's World War Two Military Jeeps

Nobody likes World War Two era vehicles more than I do. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It's weird. It's no fun on the highway. It is different than modern AWD... but there's no hydraulic slip joint to fail either. Once you get it onto a dirt road where the tires can do the slipping, it's great.

Get the head job done on that thing, it's a fun vehicle.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

How the hell do you figure out all those friggin' levers?!?!?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If you have the right MOS on your ticket, they send you to jeep school where they tell you want the levers are for! If you don't have the right MOS you aren't allowed to touch it and you have to call the motor pool sergeant to send over a driver...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

That's why Colonels and Generals always had a Sergeant driving for them!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

During World War Two, the Pentagon figured the Jeeps had a lifespan of about two to three weeks.What does that say about the Troops whom were driving/riding in those Jeeps? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Head job? I'm ASSuming, being a '48, that it's valve-in-block.

Personally, I would just swap a Studebaker V-8 into it (seriously, it's a pretty easy swap) but I'm sick like that.

nate

Reply to
N8N

My 1948 Willys Jeep has an old Jack & Heintz winch mounted on the front bumper.The two large winch cables, the guy I bought my Jeep from, he said his dogs chewed the two cables in half.Jeep also has an old factory made metal top, top with sides, the two doors are missing.It was like that when I bought my Jeep. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I think it has more to say about the 88 than anything else.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey