Heater hose replacement

This hose assembly on my 98 Grand Am is leaking at connection B.

Instead of replacing the entire assembly at $62, I was thinking of simply cutting away the upper hose (A - B) and replacing it with standard hose of the proper ID (I think 3/4" but I'll have to pop it off to make sure).

Does anyone foresee any problems with this?

-Jon

Reply to
Jon C

Possibly. You have to use a rubber that is resistant to ethelyne glycol, and whatever anti-wear additives are in the coolant. If you hose *sheds* pieces of rubber into the circulation system, it will clog all kinds of ports, including probably the radiator, heater core, all kinds of things.

IOW, you're asking for trouble IMO if you don't use the right hose. Not all rubber is the same.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Well the plan is to use what is on Advance Auto's website as "Heater hose" of the proper diameter. That should work fine, right?

Reply to
Jon C

Yes.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I think you might find that the heater hose ends are molded different sizes 'just' to prevent you from doing what you want. You can use two different size hoses with a plumbing fitting to match step the sizes together....

I can't check the photos, it only lets americans into the site.

Mike

Mike Romain

The OD of both ends is definitely the same, so I assume the ID's are as well.

I p> I think you might find that the heater hose ends are molded different

Jon C

No problems then, just watch the routing of the hose so it doesn't get up above the level of the coolant in the rad or it can air lock on you.

Mike

Mike Romain

That wasn't the case with my Ford Escort. It had an assembly with a couple of hoses crimped onto a pipe containing three temperature sensors. I sawed off the crimp rings and replaced just the hoses, but the short one between the head and pipe leaked badly no matter how much I tightened the hose clamp. It turned out that Ford used hose with a slightly smaller I.D. than normal, and I had to go to a foreign parts store that sold metric size hose.

Anybody: Is there an easy way to install the lower radiator hose on a

1992 Escort 1.9L? Are we supposed to remove the power steering pump to reach it? It took me an hour to put on the hose each time, even though I lubed it and the fitting with antifreeze.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The Parts America diagram shows the A-B hose dimension to be 29/32". If that's the ID, you will be stretching the 3/4" hose a bit. It should be OK and won't leak.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Be a little creative Mike. Use a 5 digit Zip Code. That's all they are looking for.

Reply to
Al Bundy

And I live in 90210. As far as PartsAmerica is concerned.

Last time I was in the US, some of the gas pumps required that you key in a Zip code if using your credit card. I used 90210 for that too. Worked fine.

Actually, even 12345 works.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Cool, I will remember that, thanks.

Mike

Mike Romain

I tried that twice.

Didn't work. It required the actual billing zip code to give me gas.

In any case, it wasn't the hose. It was the plastic heater core pipes.

Now I have to rip the dashboard apart to replace the damn thing :(

Reply to
Jon C

Then why did it repeatedly work for me? I was in California, but my billing address was in Canada.

The very first time I encountered this, I didn't know what to do, so I went into the kiosk and told the counterman I was from Canada and hadn't a Zip code. He told me I'd have to leave a cash deposit before he'd turn on the dispenser.

The next time, I decided I'd simply key in whatever came to mind and see if it worked. Well it did, and did every time thereafter.

Hard luck. Modern dashboards are evidently designed to be put together once and left that way.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Jon C writes in article dated Thu, 19 Jan 2006 02:12:00 GMT:

No problem replacing with generic hose, as long as you keep it clear of moving parts.

The C-D hose has been in use the same amount of time under the same conditions. I would replace it too, even if it did not yet fail.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon