How to refill a leaking Sam's club "Michelin" floor jack

Way back when, in one or more newsgroups, I suggested the blue 3.5 ton quick rise jack as sold by Sam's Club, to those who were looking for a cheap, functional, and strong floor jack for home use. I wanted to offer some tips I recently discovered when confronted with the problem of fixing or replacing mine due to low fluid level. It should be noted that I didn't "fix" it per se, but gave it a longer life. The seals, even if available, wouldn't be worth spending money on when this jack only leaks fluid a couple drops per year.

Here's a pic I found so you know which jack I'm talking about:

Having topped off hydraulic jacks and other types of chambers before, this one turned out to be a bit more diffcult to fill than in past experiences.

The symptom was that the jack would 'quick rise' OK, but after about

8" of loaded lifting, the functional stroke of the handle would start decreasing, and by the time it was near fully lifted, there would hardly be any stroke left.

Here's how to refill it (there may be easier ways but I couldn't get it to work any other way):

1) Locate the magnetic parts bin and remove it from the jack frame. This will uncover the three threaded plugs that are used to adjust or service the jack. Look for the one "by itself"... IOW, two will be close together, and the third one will be spaced apart from them. Aquire at least one pint of new hydraulic jack oil. Don safety apparel and position the jack over some rags or something very absorbant. With the jack pad down and the handle valve released, unscrew this plug, accurately counting the turns until it is completely unthreaded. Do this slowly as fluid will come out under slight pressure; it will make a mess. If you pulled out the correct plug, it will have a small tip on the end of it that engages with a spring inside the plug hole. Be sure to remember the number of turns. Mine was threaded about 6.5 turns.

2) Kneel on the jack frame or otherwise keep it from lifting off the ground, then grab the lift pad/saddle with one hand while holding the oil bottle in the other hand. Keep in mind that as you lift the pad through it's arc, there are braces going through complex motions, so keep your fingers clear of this potentially pinchy situation. To avoid moving parts, you can grab only the pad and lift up this way, since it is made to stay in place (unlike with most jack saddles that are designed to interchange easily).

3) Very slowly lift the pad while drizzling oil into the plug hole. As you lift the pad/arm, the fluid level will lower in this hole. If you hear an "air sucking" noise, you went too fast and/or didn't add enough oil. Slower is better here.

4) Once you reach the top of the arm's range, you can push it slightly further and it will go into the "service lock" position. This will hold it up while you complete step 4. Now reinstall the plug temporarily, atleast a few turns to make sure it doesn't leak.

5) "Unlock" the arm and let it fall to the bottom under it's own weight and return spring pressure. Tighten the handle valve. Put pressure on the pad with one hand so the quick lift feature doesn't engage, and pump the jack up as high as it will go before the stroke becomes less than 100% effective.

6) Postured as you were in step 2, grab the pad with one hand and keep it in this position. Now open the handle valve with the other hand and lower the handle to the floor if it isn't there already. Remove the plug again while still holding the pad at this height. Repeat steps 3 through 6 until you find that the jack exhibits 100% strokes all the way up to full loaded position. This took me more steps than I cared to count, but probably because of all the trial and error. I would think you vould get it done in about 10 steps. It might take

1/2 hour at worst.

I think the internal quick rise feature is why A) there are 3 service plugs and B) a standard reservoir fill and bleed wouldn't work for me. HTH.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I'm sure you did!

How are you?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Just fixed my jack using your information and it works great. A bit messy filling it up but works like new again. Thanks.

Reply to
davidc.perrington

Or you can just pop the rubber plug at the top of the cylinder (visible with the magnetic tray removed), and add oil. I do it al the time until I rebuild it with new seals.

Reply to
rhbirnbaum3

Where did you get the seal kit?

Reply to
schumacherrobert217

davidc:

Just don't jack up any DC10 engine-pylon combos with it! ;) ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I did this with mine and it worked fine for an hour or so, then the plug popped out. It did it twice. Why is this happening? Thank you! Jorge

Reply to
jimenezj0227

Blocked/dirty/damaged (or in our case, improperly assembled after rebuild) check valve.

AMuzi

Most likely you overfilled it. If the ram is extended much when you filled it you can put in more then there is room to hold when it's retracted. When the ram was pushed all the way back in the extra oil was forced out the filler hole.

Reply to
>>>Ashton Crusher

I just used my Michelin jack, and extended it all the way to it's limit and now it won't lift any weight at all. Had to borrow a jack to get car off j ack stands. It does go up, but as soon as it hits the cars frame, it just s its there, won't lift weight. Is this a case of needing fluid? I've seen no leaks. I've never added fluid or changed the fluid in the 10 or so years I 've had this jack.

Reply to
kellyzkillaz

Reply to
epj2789

Where can I get my jack fixed I am in south river ontario You can text me at 705 495 5016

Reply to
albertomkins

I rebuilt my old one after loaning it(!). Rebuild was simple:

AMuzi

I hate to tell you this, but those things are not really worth fixing. You can see a teardown of a similar model on youtube. Everything is just swaged together, it's not designed to be repaired.

There's a reason why a proper jack with a chromed piston is more money.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thank you for this old thread. Its 2017 -Definitely helped revive my 15 yea r old jack. Same here the fill and bleed method did nothing. That far screw you explained definitely did the job. Just like new. No seal leaks just ne eded that fill and adjustment in the right spot you pointed out. Again, ver y helpful.

Reply to
eparrocha

Reply to
bjbull777

Replacement parts for this jack can be found at Lazzar's Floor Jack: HCRCno w.com

Someone said these jacks are not worth fixing, but my math says they are. I 've had my jack for almost 20 years and just recently had the first problem with it ever... The universal joint that opens and closes the lift valve b roke. About $125 for a new jack vs. $26.35 for a Universal joint kit and ab out the same for a seal kit.

Reply to
davidpaulmcsr

Did you find out I am in Huntsville and have a problem with the Michelin 3 1/2 tone

Reply to
robrhodes

replying to schumacherrobert217, Shannon wrote: Where did you get the seal kit at

Reply to
Shannon

where can IBUY THE RUBBER PLUG FOR MY G735 JACK BY MICHELIN.....I LIVE IN HENDERSON NEVADA. THANKS FOR INFO. ………..EDDIE

Reply to
Eddiie