Joan Claybrook on NPR

Was just listening to the radio while cleaning up around the house, and caught the tail end of Diane Rehm interviewing Joan Claybrook. Apparently she's stepped down as the president of Public Citizen, although several of the callers' questions centered around CAFE and auto safety standards. I don't think I want to listen to it again, but here it is, if you want to see just how out of touch some people are with the realities of engineering and automotive design:

Unfortunately Ms. Rehm was more sympathetic than hard-hitting; apparently this is Joan Claybrook's appeal, that she makes the public think that all the bad automotive things that have happened to them are the fault of the evil automakers and not due to choices consumers have made, and on an emotional level that definitely resonates.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news:gmmvpj01j14 @news5.newsguy.com:

Well - the automakers are to blame for making cars that do 150 mph and putting all sorts of electronic toys in them for drivers to play with. But yes, the big problem on the highways is psychopathic drivers.

Reply to
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

No they're not. My car won't do 150 but it certainly could do close to

130. If I chose to drive at 130 MPH through the center of town and killed someone, whose fault would it be?

A car is a tool, just like a skilsaw or a backhoe. They're useful when used resposibly and dangerous when used irresponsibly.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Speedy always trolls with this stuff. I get suckered into replying once in a while too because nothing else to do. Just ignore it.

Reply to
Frog Britches

To these people the failings of their own management of something is due to the evil of the free market which never existed because of their management.

Reply to
Brent
[snip]

Yep. And most of the geezers in my town drive them like backhoes as well.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.