Mazda B2000 blows out it's coolant

Please give me your opinions:

My B2000 did this same thing last winter. Starting from cold, the coolant temp would continously rise, then when the thermostat opened a bit, it would start blowing coolant out under pressure. This turned out to be a cracked head, which I had replaced.

Now it does the same thing. I have taken the thermostat out, and even when stone cold, after running less than a minute, there is pressure in the system (confirmed by loosening of the rad cap). I am assuming it's either a blown head gasket, or another crack.

Can the root cause of this be the carburater problems this truck has had the last few years? It does not have much power (less than when I bought it 6 years ago), and will not run at high RPM under load. Would a too lean mixture cause head problems?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Rodermond

A lean mixture will tend to decrease power and increase combustion temps, which could lead to warping/cracking of the head or block, or burn through of the head gasket. Pulling the 'stat will lower the boil point of the coolant and result in hot spots throughout the engine, which could also lead to warping/cracking or the block or head.

Fred Roderm> Please give me your opinions:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Compression test. 170-185 is normal on most cars. A leak down test is effective as you may hear the hiss and bubbles as air passes. One or two bad cylinders reduce power and heats the motor. Lean mixtures cause head problems if not caught in time -temp rise quickly, even normal sensors can't pick it up. Have you check the timing, flatness of the block and new head, or if new bolts required and torque to spec procedures, instead of pounds, degrees? Retorque after a certain mileages? I'm just rambling. Rick

Reply to
Ricky Spartacus