no coolant fans 97 firebird 5.7 V8 alt.autos.pontiac

Anyone out there have any experience with this?

Coolant fans will not run and engine will eventually overheat if left idling. If A/C is turned on, both fans will run at low speed.

I bought one new relay and sequentially put in place of each of the 3 original fan relays but it makes no difference. I did note that several times after removing the relays, the "check engine soon" lamp came on (the only time it ever did), and for just around 20 seconds, the fans ran at high speed.

I can jump around the relays and make the fans run and just for thoroughness, all fuses in the underhood fuse/relay box are good.

At this point, it's all I can think of that would easily fix this problem. Oh yeah, I did replace the engine coolant temp sensor mounted in the water pump -- again no difference.

So the question is, are there other easy/obvious things I'm missing, and if not, what are the "hard" things to examine? It's hard to imagine the PCM being at fault since everything else works properly and the car runs fine. I know that the PCM knows the coolant temperature because the car runs well cool or warm and the skip shift lamp comes on properly (only with a warm engine).

I figure you folks are the best hope I have at this point. Any help is appreciated.

FR

Reply to
Frank Rizzo

jetster

The components involved on this setup are just the PCM, the 3 relays, and the cooling fan motors. For low speed, relay #1 is turned on which puts the fans in series, causing both to run on low speed. For high speed, all 3 relays are turned on which puts the fans in parallel, for high speed. When the fan is running due to high engine coolant temperature (as opposed to A/C head pressure), low speed comes on at 226 degrees and off at 221, and high speed comes on at 234 degrees and off at 229.

A scan tool would help to determine whether the PCM is seeing the right coolant temperature..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
Juan Polk