OK, I'm stumped...(97 Legacy Wagon overheating)

I am surprised that nobody has pointed out that one of the side effects of those nifty sealing powders is the occasional radiator blockage.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I had the same water pump impeller problem with a 1965 Plymouth. To the original poster: Have you pulled the water pump and checked it?

Reply to
Tim B

Right on target there Scott.... "Bar's Stop-leak" is a known radiator destroyer :)

Reply to
Fred Sanford

I didn't use a powder, I used this:

I called them beofre I even cracked the bottle with the same concern. The woman who asnswered the phone said get ALL the antifreeze out. Flush it, and drain it and flush it again. It has to be absolutely clear water coming out of the cooling system.

I used it with much success on another Subaru, but I guess this one must be too far gone...

Reply to
hachiroku

Nah...

On the '89 Suby it's a good old fashioned on-the-fan pump.

I think the '97 is at the timing belt, IIRC...

One thing I think people are missing: There *IS* exhaust gas in the radiator. When I had it inspected the guy stuck the 'sniffer' in the radiator filler neck and when we revved the engine hydrocarbons went way up...

Reply to
hachiroku