Recommended oil - where's the 5W30 number?

Checking my car's recommended oil for changes while traveling. Recommended for my 2012 Impala is ACDelco dexos 1 synthetic blend. Is that all I need to tell the lube joint operator? What about a kinematic viscosity number like 5W30 or 10W20? Can I find that on the door of the car or under the hood somewhere? Or will the mechanic know best based on location and season?

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

Congratulations, you have just become the recipient of GM's new attempt at establishing proprietary standards.

If an oil meets the Dexos 1 specification, it is a 5W30 oil with a certain set of characteristics that may or may not be similar to anything in the API standards.

There are a number of commercial synthetic and synthetic-blend oils that meet or exceed the GM standard, you don't actually have to use the genuine AC Delco product.

My inclination would be to buy the stuff and take it to the lube shop with you because I have a great distrust for the folks who run those things and I worry about them pumping generic oils into vehicles whose owners have paid extra for fancy lubricants. But that might just be me. As long as it says Dexos 1 on the bottle it'll be fine.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Rebecca Webb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

A quick Google found this:

Note that there are two viscosities, each with its own part number. Do you find either part number in your documentation?

As for under the hood, check the sticker on the underside of the hood, and check the oil filler cap. Either may specify a viscosity.

Reply to
Tegger

I thought one was "dexos 1" and the other was "dexos 2" for the two viscosities?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:lhp0rd$pdu$ snipped-for-privacy@panix2.panix.com:

Did you actually read the page I linked?

Reply to
Tegger

it's usually on the oil fill cap on GM cars

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

No, I don't have web access, I'm on a uucp link.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in news:lhph5k$p9t$1 @panix2.panix.com:

Oh. I take pity on you and accordingly post the relevant parts of that page:

ACDelco dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

--------------------------------------- Sometimes it's the little things that really make the difference. ACDelco dexos1, a synthetic blend oil, is that difference for your vehicle. Go stronger longer with this specifically designed and engineered oil for GM vehicles engineered to improve engine cleanliness, engine performance and fuel efficiency.

5W-20 Part #:10-9122 5W-30 Part #: 10-9050
Reply to
Tegger

Has to be listed someplace. dexos 1(gas engines) dexos 2(diesels) are simply a standard the oil must meet. Many companies make oils that meet the standards. GM/AC Delco oils are all made by ExxonMobil and have been since 1990. They signed an agreement in 2010 that extends them out to 2015 as the supplier to GM and the dealer network.

Federal law prohibits GM from requiring Dexos motor oils (IE: you cannot be required to use GM branded oils only) to maintain their warranty and your owners manual specifically states ?dexos licensed or equivalent? products should be used. Many motor oils available have paid royalties to GM for licensing of their products and others have not. For the most part, Dexos is full synthetic motor oil and many other oils meet or exceed their standards.

Dexos 1

0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30

Dexos 2

5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

Reply to
Steve W.

dexos 1 is gas engine spec. dexos 2 is diesel engine spec. Both are available in various viscosities.

Reply to
Steve W.

it's usually on the oil fill cap on GM cars

GW

Here is a list of Dexos-spec oils:

MG

Thanks!

But sheesh, do we really need another oil standard? And what the hell is a "synthetic blend" these days anyway, when US synthetics are not necessarily even synthesized base oils?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks, everybody! Didn't even think of the oil cap!

Reply to
Rebecca Webb

it's marketing genius!

jk