remind me again why I don't buy cheap brake parts

picked up a "rebuilt" master cylinder today for my race car (76 Camaro) because the other one was leaking around the seal.

go to bench bleed it, and the new one is leaking. worse than the current one. Mutter a few choice words, dig up one from parts car, and install that one.

Now I get to go back to Partsource and chew them out. I want my money back for the brake fluid I wasted bench bleeding this POS. Never buy cheap brake parts - your ass may depend on it.

Ray

Reply to
news

Lets see:

You Get What You Pay For

There Are No Free Lunches

Caveat Emptor

Cheap Fixes Are Usually Expensive

You Rarely Get Something For Nothing

There Is Always A Reason Cheap Parts Are Cheap

Reply to
John S.

In my defense, there is a fine line between inexpensive and cheap. Sometimes it's hard to tell. But I shoulda known not to trust no-name master cylinder rebuilds.

Ray

Reply to
ray

news wrote in news:B0rOg.543235 $iF6.470165@pd7tw2no:

PartSouce? That's Canadian Tire...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I had to stop going there for ones for my Jeeps. They all leaked down the core, even the 'premium' ones. I went to NAPA instead. The last one has held for 6 years.

Mike

Mike Romain

yes, but usually the people at partsource aren't nearly as retarded as Canadian Tire.

Usually the people at Partsource like cars and are into cars or used to be mechanics, so they're not totally lost if I have a question that might involve a paper catalog or something "not in the computer."

it was a Fenco master cylinder btw. Looked minty, too bad it leaks like they forgot to put the seals in it.

Ray

Reply to
ray

in Winnipeg I kind of "rotate" through Crappy Tire/Partsource and Piston Ring/Auto Value for parts depending on what I need.

you know you have a "car problem" when you start buying ATF and rear end fluid in 20L pails because it's cheaper and you know you'll use it. I could probably buy 10W30 by the 45 gallon drum....

but yeah, that's the last fenco master cylinder from partsource.

I just needed to rant at 1am after coming in from the garage. :) Ray

Reply to
ray

ray wrote in news:JABOg.1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga:

I hope not. Two months ago I went into Cdn Tire looking for a tap and die set. When I couldn't find it, I asked this clerk, who led me to...the plumbing department. I'm serious.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

OK, am I the only person that thinks it's weird that a store called Canadian Tire has a plumbing department?

nate

(not a Canuck, obviously...)

Reply to
N8N

Canadian Tire used to be just tires and car stuff. then they became walmart north. Then they realized that people who were looking for car stuff were going elsewhere, so they spun off Partsource.

So, yes, you can buy dinner plates and valve cover gaskets at the same store. :)

Ray

Reply to
news

"N8N" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Imagine Wal-Mart, but without the food, textiles and furniture, and with less selection. Imagine Home Depot, but without the lumber and with less selection. Imagine AutoZone, but with less selection.

Put the above three together, and you have the essence of Canadian Tire, a store chain that began, as Ray says, just selling tires.

Americans find the Canadian Tire concept bizarre (and I guess if we were encountering it for the first time instead of having grown up with it, so would we.) An attempted expansion into the US a few years ago bombed badly.

Canadian Tire's auto parts are generally of middling to low quality. I'd put them on a par with AutoZone and Pep Boys. At the moment, Canadian Tire is either afraid of expansion into Canada of the above two US chains and have launched a pre-emptive action with PartSource, or they hope some US chain will buy the ready-made locations from them.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I don't disagree. But, it's a harder question to know that you're getting quality parts, and not just paying more for cheap ones.

I just bought a FWB/hub for my Cavalier, and paid a fair premium because I "didn't want one of those Chinese knock-offs." After I'd put it in, I noticed that the box said it's made in Korea. It could be good - it has a "lifetime" warranty, whatever that might imply - but, I don't know that you can safely scope the quality just by the price.

And, kind of a related topic: at least here, the NAPA pricing 'system' is so FU'd, it's a little hard to even know what stuff costs. They have 'economy' parts, which are about the same price as AutoZone, et al. Their 'quality' parts are substantially higher - if you pay list price. If you know the counter guy, or the manager, he'll put your purchase down as being for some commercial account, and you get their discount price. The better you're in with the manager, the better the discount. It can be substantial, to where you're not paying much more than the 'economy' price.

Ppl can do that or not; but, it does again raise a question about how much the 'price' is determined on the quality of what you're getting.

George

fair enough. Maybe it should have said "no name" brake parts. Even then, you can get a lemon from anyone, but I went through two TRW balljoints in my race car in less than a year, and we only swapped the Moog one out now because my crew was getting worried... it looks almost like new, and is now the spare.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Ray asked , remind me again why I don't buy cheap brake parts?

Because Mr. Trump you have mega millions to spend on parts!

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face