Running without a smog pump?

The bearing/bushing has failed on the smog pump on my '87 Isuzu Trooper

2.3L.

What problems will likely be caused if I just remove the belt ( it's all on its own ) and don't bother to replace it? I don't live in a place where emissions tests are required.

Reply to
TomO

No biggie.

Reply to
twisted

remove it and keep driving. Your engine light might come on but don't worry about it.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Smog pump - blast from the past. :-) As I recall, the pump injects air into the exhaust during deceleration to burn up the rich fuel mixture brought about by the sudden closing of the throttle. Removing it sounds like a good idea to me, your car would probably be a little quieter and have a little less drag on the engine.

Reply to
dsi1

You're apt to clog the converter up a little bit faster without it, though. And of course you really _are_ producing more emissions.

Get one from a junkyard and bolt it up.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Agreed. Although often removed (at least between smog checks) back in the day by people convinced that their smog equipment in general was robbing them of power, the Air Injection Reactor pump is a pretty harmless little thing, consuming only a fraction of a horsepower and doing a fair bit to keep unburned mixture out of the atmosphere. You might also notice some pinging without it.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

As I recall, the pump injects air

Actually most systems inject air all the time *except* deceleration. The ultra rich mixture with the fresh air causes backfires in the exhaust, and had a valve to do the switching. During the late '70's early '80's I saw many GM cars with exploded mufflers from bad anti-backfire valves.

If you just remove the belt, all the plumbing will eventually rot, which would get expensive if it ever needed to be smog inspected. A better solution is to remove it all and plug the ports in the exhaust manifold. BTW, if you are any kind of tree hugger, your car will be emitting many times more HC and CO pollutants...... not trying to sound like an enviro-whacko... just sayin... HTH Ben

Reply to
ben91932

Ahh... you are right about this. Guess I got it all mixed up. Thanks for setting me straight.

Reply to
dsi1