So what are the hot auto repair specialties ?

Hey, I'm reading about the shortage of auto mechanics and I am curious what are the better specialties to be working in?

Air conditioning? (I'm in Las Vegas) Transmissions? Engine diagnostics? Smog diagnostics? Electronics? (involves most of the car nowadays eh)

Thanks

Jay

Reply to
jj

pffft just pick one and get good at it. cars are gonna be around a while.

Reply to
ed

Electronics has been and will continue to be the coming thing. They wiil continue to advance at a pace beyond the reach of most technicians. An electronics tech that is up to date will always be in demand. He should also know exactly how the electronics interact with the mechanical components and what the limits of the application may be. Get good at that and you can write your own paycheck.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

For good reason! I worked in a muffler shop years ago. There is nothing like replacing exhaust systems in Michigan. You will spend your time dripping sparks and rust on yourself cutting off rusted out pipes plus in the winter you get a "melting car salt shower" FREE OF CHARGE!

Them boys earn every DIME!

Reply to
Anumber1

All the above responses warrant attention. Electronic diagnostics is an area that stumps so many mechanics after the repair-tree has been followed without joy. In our not-so-large-town-environment with approximately 30 dealerships, there is one diagnostician who specializes in just this, and esp. repairing those headaches the dealerships cannot handle. His work is mostly from them; has a good reputation; advertised rates frighten most individuals away; mainly the dealerships whose dis-illusioned zone-managers have agreed w/the service mgrs. to use outside contractors are the source of his customers. And by now, they don't buck at all at the $100+ hourly labor rates he charges. They have GOT TO get them fixed. He is indeed very good. But, bear in mind, he also has a gift in interpreting schematics and deductive reasoning. (Until recently[last 2-3 years] he has relied on non-computer sources for wiring diagrams etc.) Kept a roomful of books, widely used. But would there be room for 2 of him? 3,

4, 5 of him? I once asked him that question to which he answered he would not be concerned until a 2nd one came along--has not happened yet. He thrives on others' headaches and the problems characterized by exceptions to the rules. Ego-satisfaction, agreed; but profitable labor rates more than offset the custom repair procedures he has to apply to each new problem. Good luck in your future choice. And should you prove you are good enough to be that 2nd such diagnostician in a growing, yet still somewhat rural area, come on in. There's gotta be room for you. And I might even be interested in talking to such a guy who needs capital in return for a business interest. s
Reply to
sdlomi2