The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Ahhh, that's an interesting question!

[Please bear in mind that I don't "own" a cell phone]

On the one hand, I think younger people are more likely to be engaged by/with a cell phone. The "instant gratification" aspect (e.g., I don't answer the land line; let it take a message and I'll check on it sometime later that day -- "it can wait"). I think most of them would consider a ringing cell phone in their purse/pocket tantamount to an "itch" on the tip of the nose while your hands are otherwise "unavailable" (to scratch it). I.e., almost *impossible* to ignore!

And, IME, young people tend to be more engaged socially (even if they never *do* anything "in person"; they are more integrated with a larger number of individuals/groups). As one gets older, the pool of people that we're (IME) willing to spend much time "frittering away" shrinks. We're more likely to *see* each other if we want to enjoy each other's company.

[We also tend to have more responsibilities and less "free time" to fritter away on trivialities]

OTOH, I think "older people" (relative term, eh? :> ) tend to not be as comfortable with the technology. Certainly less willing to "waste" much time sorting out all the things that

*could* be done, potentially ("Which button do I press to make a call? How do I hang up??") I know very few "older people" who will sit down and try to impress me with the laundry list of "features" that their phone supports.

So, the less familiarity might translate into greater *distraction* (per event) among older folks; more effort required to get the phone to do what you expect a TELEPHONE to be able to do!

OToOH, older people seem to be more inclined to pull over to the side of the road to make a call. I will often see cars parked nearby and wonder why they are sitting there. Only to discover they are on the phone, talking. Keep in mind, this is a residential area, there is no "back exit" from the neighborhood and there's only another block or two of homes

*beyond* this one!

Translation: they thought it wise to pull over *now* instead of "two blocks hence". By contrast, I suspect most "kids" would just jabber away as they drove those last few blocks.

Reply to
Don Y

Per Muggles:

Kind of makes sense in the context of man-the-hunter being evolved to stalk something, kill it, and bring it home.

OTOH, woman-the-gatherer, would seem better served by browsing behavior.

At least that's how I rationalize trips to the shopping mall: I want to find the shoes, kill them, and bring them home. My SO wants to look here, look there....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Ashton Crusher:

Maybe it's analogous to cigarette smoking.

The official anti-tobacco spiel is all about cancer and other negative health effects... but I have to think that 90% of the people who got onboard with banning cigarette smoking in the workplace just wanted relief from the stink. I certainly did.... could care less if somebody chooses to addict them selves and ruin their health... I just wanted the stink to go away.

With cell phones: Ok, the official talk is all about safety and that may or may not be all well and good... but I for one can get behind the idea of a ban just so I don't have to cope with people yakking on the phone while they wander back-and-forth over the line and back up traffic by cruising the hammer lane.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I have two modes: the hunter-killer mode for when I need a specific thing or things (a black straight skirt to wear to the goodam presentation), and the browse mode when I'm in a store where I never know what I'll find -- 99-Cents-Only, for instance. Costco is a combo

-- I have a list, but I have to go up/down each aisle to find stuff and I generally find stuff that I should have put on the list.

That being said, I hate shopping anywhere but 99-Cents-Only and Costco and I despise shopping for clothes.

I always (since I started driving at 16, anyway) regarded time in the car as 'nobody can get at me' time. I still do. If I want to use the phone I'll turn it on. If *I* want to use the phone...

Reply to
The Real Bev

Sully Sullenberger can obviously talk, text, surf and drive an A320 safely down the Hudson blindfolded.

The rest of you numbnutz, HANG UP AND DRIVE! You ain't got Sulleys skills.

Reply to
Harry Hymen

Or, worse yet, LOOK at all of them, then nonchalantly and leave, empty-handed -- yet not *distressed* by this fact!

I think most men treat shopping as a chore-to-be-avoided. Getting me *into* a store requires a significant effort (as does getting me out of the HOUSE!). OTOH, once there, I will scour my brain for every item on the "to be found" list and check to see if THIS store happens to have any of THOSE things; I've made the investment *getting* here, lets' make it yield some results!

OTOH, get into an old-fashioned hardware store (i.e., *not* "Ace") and I can spend hours looking at odd little things wondering what use I could find for them! :>

[Men also seem to have an unnatural fondness for flashlights! And, give a man a garden hose and he won't set it down until the well runs dry! :> ]

I've got clothes down to a science: buy lots of the *same* pants, shirts, socks, etc. Then, buying is just a check-off task (no "looking" or "deciding" required). And, can even be delegated to others: "Pick up three of these, for me -- at ".

It also cuts down on that time in the morning when you have to "decide" what to wear, "today".

Reply to
Don Y

Interesting observations, there.

All my kids are cell phone + text savvy and mostly communicate via text, so if I want to stay in touch, I text them.

Reply to
Muggles

LOL! yeah! We like to look.

Reply to
Muggles

ya got me right in the heart! ack!

When I go to Ace Hardware with my husband, I wonder around by myself looking at things, then eventually track him down somewhere in the hardware section looking for odd screws or bolts. I've learned a lot just by doing both over and over and over again every time he wants to go to Ace hardware. Now, I can find things for my own projects! HA!

I go in the back yard and there are garden hoses connected to other hoses going in various directions.

"What's this hose for?" He says, "I need to water blah blah blah." "Why can't you use the main hose for that? He says, "I don't want to mess with dragging it all the way over HERE!"

Ohhhhhh Kayyyyyyyyy!

Reply to
Muggles

Where does this road go? /It doesn't go anywhere. It just lays right there/

Reply to
JR

According to NBC new tonight they are. We are on track to be higher than 2009, a 14% increase. Could be the highest number of fatalities in years. They said 55% were speed related, 25% cell phone related.

One of you is using the wrong statistics. Me thinks you are FOS.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[attrs elided]

It takes a fair bit of effort (IMO) to "go somewhere". E.g., a trip to the library (2.5 miles ea way) is 20 minutes -- not counting the time spent there. (the closest *large* Ace is across from the library). It is distressing to "waste" that time and not come home with crossed of The List.

There aren't that many "20 minutes" in a typical day! If I've got to drive clear across town (45 minutes) to the oriental grocer, you can bet I'll come back with a month's worth of !

Worse, yet, to have to go back *tomorrow* for some silly little item that was forgotten on today's trip!

[A friend claims "Plumbing takes three trips" (TmReg); I've learned that she is basically correct. There's always one little fitting that you discover you need *after* you've come back from your FIRST trip. And, something else that you think of -- or manage to BREAK -- after your SECOND trip! As a result, I have a very conscious goal of trying to do plumbing jobs in *two* trips -- not yet ambitious enough to hope for *one*]
Reply to
Don Y

so says you and ceg. NBC new said different tonight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The problem arises when people from the second category think they are in the first.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you do it the *instant* your phone chirps at you? While driving? Or, do you assume it can wait a minute/hour and reply later -- when it is more convenient/safe? If it's a text AND the sort of thing that you can *immediately* formulate an answer (i.e., doesn't require conferring with your SO or "thinking about it"), then is it really

*that* urgent?

We're frequently out front chatting with neighbors. Their kids are now out of the house (permanently?). While talking, invariably "his" (or "hers") phone will chirp. They'll ignore it as they are engaged in a conversation. After *two* rings, it will stop. Then hers (or his) will chirp. Again, two rings later, that stops. THEN, the land line in the house starts to ring.

We all *know* its one of the kids -- impatient, needing instant gratification. Their question ("what are you guys having for supper?" or something equally earth-shattering) just DEMANDS an immediate reply. Or, so *they* would think!

[I wonder what they would do if mom & dad were in the sack and didn't reply for an hour or so?? "Where WERE you guys?? I've been calling and calling..." "We were working on another CHILD..."]
Reply to
Don Y

Because I don't want to go around all day with something stuck in my ear.

Reply to
krw

My current project is building some floating shelves in my bathroom using tension rods, and one store will have 2 parts of what I need, another store will have 3 parts. I threw up my hands and put everything back because I needed the essential tension poles in the right length before I could even start. The shelves I needed were out of stock, too.

Today, after searching the Home Depot website I finally found the tension rods AND the right wire shelves that I need. The hardware to put it together is at another store (Lowes). Home depot had a package of C clamps that were the right size and color, but the package also had a bunch of other screws and wall board anchors that I didn't need for a whopping $28. I'm not paying that for C clamps. I may run up to Ace Hardware and see if I can buy the clamps there. If not, I'll go back to Lowes and get the plastic C clamps they have which will work fine and they're like $7 for a bunch of them.

I've been back and forth to Lowes several times JUST looking, but that part has been fun working out what I need and then going on a scavenger hunt finding the parts.

Reply to
Muggles

yes!

Reply to
Muggles

I dislike shopping generally, and look at almost all of it as a mission. Get it, get what I want and get out. I have better things to do. Of course, I dislike watching television as well, unless it's football

Reply to
SeaNymph

While I dislike driving around people talking on cell phones, I hate going hiking and have to listen to someone on the phone. Or you want a quick bite to eat, but the person in front of you can't put the damn phone down long enough to order.

Reply to
SeaNymph