Tube chassis with THIN wall thickness

Hi! I'm building a tube chassis out of square tubing with thin wall thickness. I chose this because I want the chassis to be as light as possible. Since the tubing is that strong and stiff, I will be adding a lot of supports using the same tubing.

Can such be made without sacrificing rigidity and safety?

The car will be more on economy rather than performance. The body will be made of fiberglass.

Target top speed is around 100kph.

Reply to
lethaldriver

I am not sure thin walled square profile tubing is the best way to go. The book by Costin (of Cosworth relation) talks about building light weight high strength chassis from tubular thin walled tubing. I think this might be the best alternative, but certainly is not to say a square tubing wouldnt be adequate.

Some of the tubular frames, as used in the "birdcage" Maseratis were some of the strongest and most rigid for their weight that were possible to build from simple materials.

Reply to
HLS