vaccuum advance?

I've been told by three people that I need a vaccuum advance in my distributer that connects to my carb. From what they said it all makes sense except there never was a vaccuum advance. No extra holes in the carb and no extra holes in the distributer. Did they even have a vaccuum advance in the distributers with points? what's a reasonable substitute if they didn't?

Reply to
raindrop

What year and make of engine ?

Reply to
TOLYN9

Some just used a mechanical advance inside the distributor. That is usually a set of spring loaded weights that move by centripetal force.

Vacuum advances are common for emissions purposes and are usually mated to a mechanical advance as well.

Mike

ra>

Reply to
Mike Romain

it's a 73 chevy c10 truck, 1/4 ton 307 with a 67 rochester chevy camaro carburetor

Reply to
raindrop

|it's a 73 chevy c10 truck, 1/4 ton 307 with a 67 rochester chevy camaro carburetor

Should have a vacuum advance from the factory. Without it the symptom is momentary hesitation at throttle tip-in

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B