What does a torque converter do when it is Bad???

My question is this, What does a torque converter do or sound like when it is bad? Especially does it make a noise or grinding noise.

I have a 1986 chevy K10 4x4 (305ci, 700R4 trans., NP208 transfer case) for more info check post a few down that has a title of "Elusive grinding noise". Thanks in advance for all the help you guys have tried to help but i still cant pin point the noise.

Reply to
needsacoolname

Depends on what (if anything) is wrong with it. Some failure/failing modes may be noisy, others can be silent. The noisy ones might sound like grinding or scraping, or any of a number of other sounds.

In other words, it's going to be tough deciding what the problem is, and even tougher when you can't be *SURE* that it is indeed the TC making the noise. There's a whole bunch of things on a car (or truck) that have the potential to make grinding noises, and until you can pinpoint which of them is the source, you're just chasing your own tail.

Reply to
Don Bruder