what if mesh guard for MAF sensor is missing?

I noticed in two different cars that the airflow sensor was missing the honeycomb mesh guard that is used to promote laminar flow across the wires. What is the effect of this? I presume the mixture would be too rich or lean, but then the ECU would monitor the exhaust oxygen sensor and would correct this after a while. BTW both cars seemed to run OK.

Reply to
bruce56

it would vary by vehicle

that's one variance.

ScannerDanner had a recent case study on his YouTube channel of a missing air filter royally screwing up the fuel trim on a full size Chevy van.

worth a look

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh