Why is my 1985 s 10 2.8 engine so hard to start ?

hard to start. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuu m lines,replaced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter tha t look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I h ave even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

ttle hard to start after its been running.

s it runs fine. no black smoke or rough running.

Reply to
m6onz5a

trolling ??

Reply to
RalphD66

t. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have put a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,repla ced the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look good. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even done a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just hard to start. Im stumped !

Im looking for help here, not people who second guess my replies ! Everythi ng that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

Reply to
RalphD66

Checked out your EGR??? Don't recall it being mentioned but I could be wrong. The EGR will cause an air leak if its even just partially stuck open and a leaning of the A/F mixture at all times. It usually displays other symptoms but it is worth a look.

Don't just test it in situ. Remove it and test it out of the vehicle and on the bench. They get chock full of carbon at times. If it works 100% on the bench, make sure it is being operated at the appropriate times when driven.

Reply to
Xeno

So you've checked the float bowl for fuel? It's not empty after sitting overnight? And the accelerator pump is squirting fuel right away after sitting overnight?

Reply to
Bill Vanek

tart. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have pu t a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,re placed the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look goo d. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even d one a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just h ard to start. Im stumped !

ything that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

Well, the egr is not connected on this engine. hasnt been in a very long ti me. It was disconnected way before the problem started.

Reply to
ralphenglehart29

tart. I have done everything i know to fix this but no luck yet . I have pu t a re-manufactured carburetor on it.I have checked all the vacuum lines,re placed the fuel pump. manual pump. I have a clear fuel filter that look goo d. I have done a tune up,plugs,wires,cap,pickup module,exc... I have even d one a compression test that passes easily. The engine runs good, its just h ard to start. Im stumped !

thing that has been suggested has turned out to be false.

Yes ive checked the bowl for fuel in the morning. its good.And yes the pump is squirting gas. Ive been told that there are a couple of ignition items that will cause this problem. Like the ignition coil, and the ignition pick up. I replaced the coil to no avail. Im replacing the pickup next.

Reply to
ralphenglehart29

Both the pickup and coil would be a waste of time, if you have done the tests I suggested with viewing the spark and with viewing the timing marks during starting and at idle and making sure they are in the right place and not jumping around.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Ive checked the timing as you said. everything checks out. this is why i po sted the question to start with. ive done everything that can be done but n othing seems to fix the problem. im thinking i must have gotten a bad carb. but thats hard to believe because the engine runs so well once it starts. although i have detected a slight miss when the engine is under a load.

Reply to
ralphenglehart29

Well turns out that replacing the pickup coil was not a waste of time. I replaced it and it solved the problem !

Reply to
ralphenglehart29

Well if that's true, then you left a LOT out of the original description of the problem. There is no way that truck "ran fine" after it started. Certainly not at WOT.

Reply to
Bill Vanek