4runner won’t start when it’s hot...

First off...great place. Lot?s of good info. here, hopefully I can tap into the wisdom of everyone here. That being said.....

I have a ?91 4runner that has intermittent starting problems. Typically in warmer weather (70 degrees plus) it won?t start until it cools down. Usually this is after doing some stop and go driving in town, without having a chance to cool down in between trips.

What I usually end up doing is popping the hood and circulating the air a little bit until it cools down enough and then it will start right up. Sometimes this takes up to 45 minutes. I?ve done some searching here and some other sites and haven?t heard of anyone having a similar issue.

One thing I have noticed is that with the v6 that I have, the starter is located right near exhaust manifold. I wonder if this is causing problems with the solenoid. The starter has been rebuilt once and replaced with a reman. unit from the local auto parts store.

I don?t get it, I know it?s heat related, because it starts fine once it cools down and it starts fine in the morning or once the car hasn?t been driven. Has anyone here had similar issues ? I don?t have a couple hundred bucks for a certified mechanic to diagnose, but it?s gotta get fixed. Any ideas :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Reply to
Wootersen

What's it doing?...cranking...no start?, not cranking?, clicking?...you mention the solenoid, so it's likely not cranking...?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Define "starting problems"

does is crank and not start? Does it not crank? Does it click? Headlights dim?

Check your starter relay contacts.

Reply to
Ray O

"Wootersen" wrote: > First off...great forum. Lot's of good info. here, hopefully > I can tap into the wisdom of everyone here. That being > said..... > > I have a '91 4runner that has intermittent starting problems. > Typically in warmer weather (70 degrees plus) it won't start > until it cools down. Usually this is after doing some stop > and go driving in town, without having a chance to cool down > in between trips. > > What I usually end up doing is popping the hood and > circulating the air a little bit until it cools down enough > and then it will start right up. Sometimes this takes up to > 45 minutes. I've done some searching here and some other > sites and haven't heard of anyone having a similar issue. > > One thing I have noticed is that with the v6 that I have, the > starter is located right near exhaust manifold. I wonder if > this is causing problems with the solenoid. The starter has > been rebuilt once and replaced with a reman. unit from the > local auto parts store. > > I don't get it, I know it's heat related, because it starts > fine once it cools down and it starts fine in the morning or > once the car hasn't been driven. Has anyone here had similar > issues ? I don't have a couple hundred bucks for a certified > mechanic to diagnose, but it's gotta get fixed. Any ideas > :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have specified. Then engine is not cranking...it just clicks. Once the engine cools down enough it will turn over and crank just fine.

Reply to
Wootersen

"Wootersen" wrote: > Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have specified. > Then engine is not cranking...it just clicks. Once the engine > cools down enough it will turn over and crank just fine.

Any more ideas ? I really appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Do you think I?m just having bad luck with the Reman. starters I?m getting from the auto parts store ?

I?m not opposed to buying Toyota parts, but I kind of want a second opinion before I spend the dough.

Reply to
Wootersen