GM goes further down the dumper; NiHM battery supplier broke due to Chevron

GM may soon be feeling some of Chrysler's pain over bankrupt suppliers. The CarConnection reports Cobasys, supplier of the NiMH
batteries used in the light-hybrid Vue, Aura and Malibu and holder of "a key contract in the development of GM's much-anticipated plug-in hybrid, the Volt," is out of money. The battery maker lost more than $76m last year and expect to lose $82m this year. To make matters worse, the company's joint owners, ChevronTexaco and ECD, can't agree on the 2008 budget. So Cobays' operating budget is $92m short. Cobasys is now on GM's "distressed supplier list;" the General refuses to comment on the situation. In the meantime, GM has struck a deal to buy batteries for its two-mode hybrid trucks from a Panasonic - Toyota joint venture.
Note how it's ChevronTexaco who's putting the kibosh on Cobasys by stalling their budgeting...another move by Big Oil to stop any move toward electric propulsion dead in its tracks. A Democratic administration will probably have the government take over funding of NiMH development, thus ruining this attempt by Big Oil to "defund" competition for their products into oblivion.
To read more:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/news-blog/cobasys-crisis-has-gm-buying-batteries-from-toyota /
DeserTBoB wrote:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/news-blog/cobasys-crisis-has-gm-buying-batteries-from-toyota /
And GM gets to say "Gee guys we sure tried hard (!) but other factors prevent our producing the Volt. Pause here for sounds of weeping and wailing from GM. Volt/EV-1/Etc. all died aborning. Fast forward a short time to where GM is a minor parts supplier to Toyota and Honda. End of story for Detroit's incompetence.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

Does the words "Lithium" or HD DVD and Blue Tooth, ring a bell
Do you think $3 a gallon is high to you? If the dims have their way that "Big Oil' you hate will be charging over $4 a gallon after the Dims raise the taxes on "Big Oil" a BILLION dollars a year. Does the old adage, There is not fee lunch ring a bell

Mike hunt wrote:

$1 billion is about 1/10 of the profit of what ExxonMobil makes in one year on US sales (3/4 of ExxonMobil's profit is outside the US).
Jeff
Mike hunt wrote:

What about all the oil that was supposed to come from Iraq after Saddam was kicked out?
In article
snipped-for-privacy@whoever.com wrote:

Not to even mention the states taxes on gas. You will be LUCKY to be paying $4/gal. Remember, don't blame it on the big oil companies. Just be thankful they are providing you with the fuel so you may joy ride around in addition to going to your work.
--

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which
debt he proposes to pay off with your money.
dbu wrote:

In 2006, something like 51 billion gallons of fuel (gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, home heating oil) were sold. If that $1 Billion in taxes is passed on to the consumer, that comes out to less than $0.02 per gallon of fuel.
Jeff
I see you still have a problem working out percentages. LOL
"Jeff" <

Mike hunt wrote:

$1 billion / 50 billion gallons = $1 / 50 gallons = $0.02 per gallon.
Get a clue Mike.
Jeff
I guess to you it is that simple. LOL

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/news-blog/cobasys-crisis-has-gm-buying-batteries-from-toyota /
I bet GM is kicking itself in the ass because they sold Stan Ovshinsky's Ovonics patents to Chevron in the first place after they crushed all of the EV1s
Electric car in Winnipeg? Forget it...might as well start walkin'.
LMFAO !! Electric car in Manitoba HAHAHAHAH it would freeze HAHAHAH My soon to be brother in law lives there and says he has his car programmed to start every 45min or the thing will freeze solid!! No joke He said the one time his car didn't start and the weather dropped 46 below with wind chill and the battery froze, rad fluid froze and oil was like mud BUT wait.. if the car is electric.. just plug in hair dryer

ChEvRoLeT wrote:

The wind chill will cause the car to cool off faster, but it won't get any colder than if there is no wind chill.

The radiator fluid should not freeze nor should the battery at those temperatures.

Use synthetic.

They make these neat things called "extension cords" that lets you bring a hair drier outside.
They also build these neat things called "garages" that let you store cars in a warmer environment.
jeff

A car sitting in about -34C with no wind will stand a better chance starting than one sitting in -34C with a windchill of -46. That -46 wind chill separates the wheat from the chaff. The boys from the men. Winnipeg hit -38C this winter, and that was with no wind thank goodness.

With a water cooled engine we use block heaters. Also little interior car warmers that keep the interior warm and the windows clear. Some people even use a battery blanket as well. When we drove in the States years ago (60s) with three electric cords and plugs hanging out the front a gas jockey in southern Minnesota asked if it was an electric car. We also had these clear plastic panels you stuck to the inside of the glass, in essence making a "sealed unit" to fight frost buildup. Better defroster/heaters have rendered them obsolete and I haven't seen them in years. Driving a British car in Winnipeg winters back in the 50s and 60s was particularly adventurous. A "demister" was no match for a 1/8" coating of frost. "Okay, quit breathing so much, I can't see out the bloody windscreen".

Whaaah? Parking a car in a garage, eh? But where would I then store all these 8 track carts, players, and other assorted treasures?
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:44:56 GMT, "William W Western"

Windchill applys to the cooling effect on exposed human skin. A car sitting in -34 with no wind ends up at the same temperature as a car sitting in -34 with 100 mph winds. -34
Steve B.
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:44:56 GMT, "William W Western"

-34C atmospheric is -34C to any inanimate object immersed in it. The wind just makes it cool faster (more gas circulating faster over the cooled object = faster heat transfer), but it'll never get any colder than -34C. Basic thermodynamics, high school physics...in which I got an A+, of course, which stood me in good stead as an undergrad.

I used a Kim Hot-Start up in Canuckia back in my days up around there, (a VERY common US make). It was 500W and kept an 8V71 Detroit toasty enough to start on the first go 'round even at -20C, along with a 250W oil sump heater running 20W-20 MIL 5208 oil, then de rigeur for any Detroit Diesel. Of course, starting any diesel (assuming the fuel isn't gelled and the oil isn't too thick) is easier at such cold temperatures anyway due to the lack of absolute moisture. Having #1 ASTM fuel was a big help on 2 strokes, too, but that went away everywhere after the First OPEC Embargo, and the only way to "make" it after that was to cut #2 with some water white kerosene. The WORST climate in which to start any diesel was around 5C and high humidity. The large amount of water vapor, coupled with the cool intake air, would quench the detonation every time.
The Brits could never built deicers for aircraft, either. Ask anyone who was over there in WWII and watched Lancasters fall out of the sky due to wing rime, while the 17s and 24s just flew by unfazed.

Well, that's your choice! The garage is for the car...the junk goes in the junk room...or the dumpster, your choice.

Categorically untrue. Your car does not understand wind-chill. Wind-chill is a reference for people only.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

And other animals exposed to the cold, like dogs and cats.

Well yeah - but they don't complain about it.