OT: Senator admitted trying cocaine in memoir written 11 years ago

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16443180 /

dbu,, 1/3/2007,5:32:47 AM, wrote:

That must be why he became a Democrat !!!
He must be on cocaine now if he thinks he is going to be President.

Here is a segment from the article which I thought kind of stuck out:
"A senior Republican strategist who will be advising a GOP presidential candidate in 2008 said he did not see anything in the book that would be a "disqualifier," but he cautioned that Obama has not yet gone through an intense vetting process and that a problem could arise if there is more to his story than he has chosen to share. The strategist, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, also suggested that there will be high tolerance for marijuana use among voters because many baby boomers probably tried the drug in the '60s."
"high tolerance for marijuana use" This is but another example of how chipping away ever so tiny bit by bit a society can be worn down. The Roman empire is one example. America maybe another. So down the line we can expect the president and members of congress actively participating in hard drug use while running the country. This will make a fine example to the youth. Drug use, it's ok.
Another word that continues to stick out in regards to drug use is "tried". Everybody "tried" but didn't use? How many tons of the stuff is smoked every year.

Is your issue with marijuana the fact that it is illegal at the moment, or something about the drug which you feel makes it different from alcohol?

I'd much rather have a pothead driving the car than a drunk...
Natalie

Potheads will be arrested for driving under the influence also.

dbu, wrote:
Police prefer arresting potheads over drunks because they tend to be calm and cooperative. My father said that some would practically volunteer to put on the handcuffs. OTOH drunks are often violent and may not respond even to Tasering (he didn't have a Taser).
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:32:47 -0600, dbu, wrote:

Well, if he tried it in his memoir, what's the problem?
Good thing he didn't really try it!

Everybody "tried it", but never used it. LOL.

Is your issue with marijuana the fact that it is illegal at the moment, or something about the drug which you feel makes it different from alcohol?

I had not compared it to alcohol. What is your question?

Unless I've interpreted incorrectly, you have an issue with marijuana use. If this is correct, what is it about the drug? It's legal status, or something about the drug itself?

I don't have any problems with illegal drugs, do you?
Well as for your other questions, marijuana is illegal, against the law as far as I know and in addition it like tobbaco smoke will get to your lungs, plus the smoke really stinks, like you can smell it a mile away if someone is smoking in a park or outside. Alcoholic beverages such as beer, wine ect are not. Plus alcoholic beverages such as wine and beer have been proven to be beneficial to your health if consumed moderately.
Marijuana has not been shown to have any medical benefit other than perhaps a euphoric state for some terminal patients. It still remains illegal.
Marijuana has not been shown to have any health benefits.

So, when a politician says he used it, it concerns you because the drug is illegal? Is that your ONLY concern about the politician?
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:20:45 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Sex with underage people is illegal. A LOT of people had a lot of trouble with Foley when he tried to have an affair with an underage page (well, I guess he didn't actually TRY having the affair until the guy was >18)
So, is something ILLEGAL, or ISN'T IT?!?!?!

What I'm getting at is that *all* people are selective in their views toward mind-altering substances. They'll crab all day long about pot because they imagine that it's used only by a type of person they don't approve of. These same people will say nothing about a bunch of senators leaving a cocktail party with three sheets to the wind. Oh...wait: If it's Ted Kennedy, the cocktails are a problem. If it's George Bush, it's not.
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:42:13 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, dunking your Delmont 88 with a femaile aide and then 'forgetting' about it for 24 hours is a crime. Leaving 3 sheets to the wind is too, but unless you causean accident, no one dies.
How the hell do you go home soaking wet and forget about it for 24 hours?!?!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

What do you think of Barbara Bush driving a Plymouth Fury, rammed into a Corvair, and killing its driver?
Or how about a drunk Dick Cheney shooting his friend in the face and refusing a sobriety test?
Ted, Barb, and Dick all appear in the newest American Express commercial - "Priviledge has its benefits".

Hey...this raises a question. Cheney is allowed to go hunting while he is vice president. Clinton is not allowed to have sex while he is president. Isn't this a double standard?
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 21:46:45 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Huh? You really are stretching, aren't you? Was his gun married to another hunter?