R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

In the world, not only the US.
dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc GM is number one in the world as well.
mike hunt
message

I'll try to remember that advice from our friend dizzy AKA Stupid, Troll, Idiot, Moron etc next time I post, OK? ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Please post properly so we can tell who you are replying to.
Hey Mike, Toyota owners are not under the "delusion" that their Toyotas will never break down. They are under the accurate impression (usually from personal experience) that their vehicles will break down less to a lot less than any other brand.
(Jason) wrote:

It is still an illusion since it is not true. Look at any survey of the auto indistry. The failure rate is around 2% for ALL manufactues, within the first five years or 75K, which means 98% of all the others among them will not have a failure. EVERY manufacture makes some that are not up to snuff. That is why they all have a warranty even RR. ;)
mike hunt
(Jason) wrote:

What you write is simply not true. In fact it is utterly absurd. I've pointed this out to you in the past and I wish you would make an effort to understand it. Go look in the Consumer Reports owner surveys and you will find that, for example, the failure (problem) rate for a five year old Lexus (that is, in it's fifth year) is about 22 failures per 100 vehicles (a Lexus owner has a 1 in 5 chance of having a problem in year 5, on average). That is for just year 5, not a total of 5 years. Very different. For Mercedes Benz and Cadillac the failure rate is about 105 failures per 100 vehicles. The Merc and caddy owner has a 1 in 1 chance of having a problem during year 5, on average. Pretty bad for high priced spreads. The overall average failure rate for all cars during year five is about 75 failures per 100 vehicles. So the Lexus guy is much better off than the average, while the Caddy and Merc owners are significantly more likely to have trouble.
How you got a failure rate of 2% in five years is a profound mystery and something that is simply unbelievable. Even if you claimed it was a 2% annual failure rate that is still ridiculously low. Even Japanese cars do not do that well. My GM Yukon XL had at least five failures in five years, or a 100% chance of a single failure each year, on average. (Pretty close to what CR reports for year 5, actually.)
(Jason) wrote:

Mikey has never let truth and the real world intrude on his fantasies and he supports GM and company, never.
No wonder you are confused, you need to go back to mathematics 101 and learn what is the AVERAGE failure rate when a survey shows the number of failures reported for all vehicles was 133 per 100 vehicles LOL
mike hunt

The devil is in the details Charles. The word "failure" is where Mike tends to leverage his position. His leaky intake gaskets didn't cause him to be stranded without a car, so it wasn't a failure. Likewise with the wheel bearings that wore out in less than 40,000 miles. Or the heater control resistor pack. He either drives through the problems, never having them fixed, or he gets rid of the car and lets the new owner deal with it. He's already told us how many cars he's owned and how often he turns them over so it only stands to reason that he's never "experienced" the "failures".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Actually GM sells more cars than Toyota and Honda sell Camrys and Accords. It just that they have different brand names on the hood.
mike hunt

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 16:59:13 -0500, "Mike Hunter"

OK, add all the Matrix, Celica, Prius, Corolla,etc to the Toyota list, and the civic and all it's variants to Honda, and how does it compare?

Are you that slow? ALL Toyotas Matrix, Celica, Prius, Corolla, etc have the Toyota name on car. "GM" does not appear on their cars, they have the division name on the car. Ever hear of a GM Malibu or a GM LeSabre?
mike hunt

mike, It's possible that GM is sells more cars than any other company. Even if this is true, it's only because they make so many types of cars and trucks. A better carparison would be to compare each GM model to similar models made by Honda and Toyota
For example--compare the 4 door Civic to a 4 door GM car that is almost identical to the 4 door Civic. Be honest--do you think the GM car is superior to the Civic? Also, if you compare the sales figures--do you think the GM car or the Civic would win that contest?
Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
My response was to the statement that Toyota and Honda makes better cars. What I said was that was not reflected in the sales numbers, since GM sells more cars than Toyota and Honda. GM still sells more cars than anybody. Many people believe what they see in ads. Toyota is advertising they are the number one car brand, that is true but Chevrolet is the number one BRAND name, that includes cars and trucks since American have been buying more trucks than cars for the past five years. Ford is the number two BRAND name. Toyotas growth over the past five years, like every other manufacture, has been in trucks and SUVs sales in Toyota and Lexus and the addition of Scion. Camry sales were actually down in 2005.

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 20:47:02 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

DC sold         2,304,833 vehicles in 2005 Toyota sold    2,260,296 vehicles in 2005
Doesn't look like a "distant" fourth to me.
Not that it matters. Honda is making lots of money. Toyota is poised to take over as the biggest vehicle maker in the world. DC, well that's really a German company now so it is hard to see why it is even considered part of the Big 3. It will be even harder when Toyota passes it in sales next year.
For now, GM and Ford are losing money on every car they sell but making it up on volume. Five years from now you may barely recognize them.
The US market in 2005 was 16,500,000 and Chrysler had 2% more of the market than Toyota according to the Commerce Department figures.
Perhaps you are wasting you time hanging out in the NGs, you should by buying lottery tickets and stocks or better yet get into the commodities market with all of your insight. LOL
mike hunt

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:01:47 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Here is my source. Where is yours?
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060104/auto_sales_table.html?.v=2
DC sold about 2% more cars than Toyota last year (2,304,833 vs 2,260,296) but their market share was virtually identical.