Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

I see opinions of the "I swear by" type all over the map. Anyone know of a good site that shows the truth about which brand/type of oil & filter performs the best? Thinking in the passenger car realm.

Thanks

Reply to
HiC

HiC snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:8455880c-4d03-4ce4-a7eb- snipped-for-privacy@w34g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

There isn't any. Not such that I've ever been able to find online, anyway.

Those sites that pull filters apart to see what they look like inside tell you absolutely nothing useful at all.

The safest things you can do:

1) Use the correct OEM oil filter sold by your automaker's local dealer. 2) Use a major brand-name oil that displays the API starburst.
Reply to
Tegger

I am mainly interested in filters for the vehicles I own or regularly service - Fords, Toyotas, a Nissan, and a Mazda. For the Fords, from what I have seen, the $3.28 Motorcraft FL820S Filter is better than the best Fram equivalent, the TG2, which cost $6.15 the last time I bought one. The TG2 is only marginally better than the lower priced, but used by the same applications, Fram PH2 ($3.77) yet cost 40% more. Now maybe for some other applications, the Fram filters are not so obviously inferior. But for the applications I care about, Fram filters are not my choice.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The problem is that you have to, unless you can tell WHICH one you are getting. If you don't have proof of what grade you have, you must assume it is the lowest possible.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

SMS snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com wrote in news:jvAWk.4957$8 snipped-for-privacy@flpi147.ffdc.sbc.com:

Exceptionally poor /looking/ consruction you mean, not exceptionally poor /functioning/ construction.

Until those beauty-contest sites perform some kind of /function/ tests, they tell you absolutely nothing except the non-news that ugly girls don't win beauty contests.

But they can't tell you how /good/ that filter medium is, which is the critical point.

Reply to
Tegger

There is a site somewhere I visited that tested all filters. Alot depends on driving style, if normal not racing the car manufacturers is always safe. On oil Mobil 1 is as good as it gets, for racing maybe Royal Purple. Most any name brand is fine and much improved over the last 30 years.

Reply to
ransley

Amsoil meets or surpasses API specs, yes, according to them and one type is API certified. There is a difference between can not and refusing to provide some proprietary information.

Reply to
WindsorFox<[SS

This is what the OP is trying to avoid. Provide proof saying Mobil 1 is the best oil you can buy, some sort of test showing that. Good luck with that.

Reply to
WindsorFox<[SS

The big lie.

Reply to
Mark A

"WindsorFox<[SS]>" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:ggelbq$v0g$ snipped-for-privacy@posting2.glorb.com:

It's not "cardboard".

Reply to
Tegger

I stand with you on this point. One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Reply to
HLS

So what is the proper marketing term for paper-like crap?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Which is why I stick with OEM oil filters. Because at least the manufacturer tested and approved of them.

Reply to
Brent P

"HLS" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote in news:_WCWk.6231$W06.4416 @flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

Let's make that "expert" opinions (with quotes).

Without the results of properly designed empirical testing, everybody's an "expert", the way doctors were "experts" at infectious disease before the discovery of microbes.

My personal and untested opinion is that most aftermarket oil filters are about the same quality as most aftermarket car parts, which is to say of poor and/or questionable quality. that's why I only ever buy OEM for our (Honda and Toyota) vehicles.

Reply to
Tegger

"C. E. White" snipped-for-privacy@removemindspring.com wrote in news:492afc68$1 @kcnews01:

It's gasket material, not "cardboard".

Reply to
Tegger

At some very primitive, minimal-function level yes. But really buying OEM means absolutely nothing at all. OEMs get more and more lax about the replacement parts they "approve" as you get further and further from the model year in which your car was built. Now if they still use the same filter on cars currently in their warranty parts stream, you're better off. But still no guarantees.

Which is why I buy Wix, which just never has any complaints or gripes no matter where you look.

Reply to
Steve

Not true the way that oil filter media is made. If you look at the typical oil filter media under pressure you will find that the higher number of pleats do a worse job of filtering and passing oil. That is because the pleats tend to press together and restrict flow through them. They also open other areas in the pleats so the filters actually filter less.

You do know that Fram MAKES Toyota's filters? They have for quite a while. They also have made filters for Ford, GM, and even have been a source for other filter makers as well...

Reply to
Steve W.

I agree with the "expert", but not with the summary of aftermarket parts.

Some aftermarket parts have been better than the factory or "OEM' versions. In fact, that is not too uncommon if you buy from a quality distributor and use their good quality parts...(They will usually be cheaper than OEM anyway).

For example, on the GM Gen II 3800 engines, you would no replace one of the burned up plenums with an OEM if you knew what was good for you. Aftermarket had solved the problem that GM allowed to proliferate for ca

10 years. There are other examples of this.
Reply to
HLS

"HLS" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote in news:UkEWk.7858$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

Must be a domestic thing.

I'm not personally aware of any aftermarket parts for the imports that are superior to OEM, with the possible exception of radiators.

Reply to
Tegger

Of course they often do. However they will be built to the OEM's specs more often than not. Odds are the OEM filter is the only one that was tested on a particular engine or engine/vehicle combo. I responding to the requirement of test data. At least I know that Ford tested with the motorcraft filter.

Reply to
Brent P