This ought to clear up the congestion on our roads...

Interesting article from my hometown newspaper in Pa...

Proposal for DUI car device criticized State House bill that would require breathalyzers for all cars called unfair, costly. KRIS WERNOWSKY snipped-for-privacy@timesleader.com Read the proposed law A bill sent to the state House Committee on Transportation Friday would require a breathalyzer ignition system be installed in new cars sold within the state and retrofitted into existing cars.

House Bill 875, sponsored by Bucks County Democrat Paul Clymer, would require an ignition interlock system in every motor vehicle manufactured for use in Pennsylvania on or after Dec. 31, 2008. The law would also require vehicle owners to retrofit their cars with the system by Dec. 31, 2009.

The bill drew the ire of the American Beverage Institute, a Washington, D.C.-based restaurant trade organization, dedicated to "protecting the on-premise dining experience - which often includes the responsible consumption of adult beverages."

Sarah Longwell, an ABI spokeswoman, called the bill a radical approach to the problem of drunken driving that would punish even the most Puritan non-drinking residents of the Commonwealth. Judges often require repeat drunken drivers to install ignition interlock systems in their vehicles that won't allow people to start their cars if their blood alcohol content is above a pre-set level.

The proposed law, as it stands, would require the calibrators to block a driver with a .025 percent blood alcohol level, a level set for Pennsylvania's court-ordered DUI offenders. The law considers the average adult drunk at .08 percent.

"Chain restaurants, they have parking lots. These are places people go to have one drink, a glass of wine," Longwell said. "These people should be able to drink responsibly and drive home, which is legal. This bill takes the very radical position that people should no longer be able to do this."

If a 170-pound man consumed two beers in an hour, his blood alcohol content would be about .024, according to Intoximeters Inc., a national wholesaler for breathalyzer equipment.

Clymer, who sent the bill to committee without co-sponsors, said he came up with the idea after hearing stories about increases in binge drinking on college campuses and the statistics about the number of alcohol-related fatalities in Pennsylvania.

An analysis of drunken-driving fatality statistics from the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Web site shows Pennsylvania had the fourth highest amount of alcohol-related deaths in the United States from

2000 to 2005, behind Florida, California and Texas.

When the average population of the state in those years is taken into account, Pennsylvania drops to 23rd on the list with roughly 31 fatal crashes for every 100,000 residents. Montana has the highest per capita death rate for drunken-driving crashes with 77 crashes for every 100,000 residents.

Longwell said lawmakers, state and federal, are being pressured to change the law by activist organizations such as MADD and by automobile manufacturers that are starting to implement similar options into new cars. A similar bill has been introduced in the New York state Legislature that encompasses drivers of large commercial vehicles such as buses and semis. It has not passed.

The Toyota Motor Co. is already experimenting with steering wheel sensors that would detect a driver's blood alcohol level and hopes to fit cars with the system by 2009, according to The Associated Press. The Nissan Motor Co. experimented with breathalyzer technology.

Clymer admits there are several logistical parts of the bill to consider, like how to require vehicle manufacturers to install the systems in vehicles for a single state, or the high cost of retrofitting older vehicles.

"We want to hear the testimony," he said. "It's possible that compromises would be made."

The state representative was unaware of the cost of the installation of the interlock ignition systems, which range from $700 to $1,200. Pennsylvania Interlock, which provides the systems to court-ordered DUI offenders, leases the units for $1,050 for one year. The cost includes installation, routine calibrations, and removal within a year's time.

State Rep. Katharine M. Watson, R-Warminster, chairwoman of the Transportation Subcommittee on Transportation Safety, was hesitant to speak about the recently introduced bill, but said some of the requirements might be a little too extreme for some residents.

"That's a lot of expense and a lot for people who have never taken a drink in their life," she said.

When told of the cost, Clymer was surprised.

"Looking at this again now, I see," he said. "The last thing I would want to do is have an added cost, especially if a person doesn't drink. I would be more than willing to accept amendments."

Still, Clymer hopes the bill will lead the state Legislature to hold hearings on drunken driving and the effects of alcoholism.

"This bill is not etched in stone," he said. "I want to try to get a discussion going and get people talking about it. People need to understand that this is a life-and-death situation. I'm willing to look at some changes in my (proposed) law that would reflect a more common-sense approach."

ON THE WEB:

Reply to
in2dadark

While I like the theory behind these things, the time frame Clymer is suggesting seems to be at odds with the readiness of the technology. However, someone could still make lots of money installing things that don't work well. It would be interesting to know who in Clymer's family owns a car dealership or other business which would benefit from the law he proposes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I am totally against the theory. The theory proposes that every individual behind the wheel has the propensity to drink and drive. I for one have never had a drop to drink in the past fifteen years, and would never consider driving a car after having even one drink of alcohol. There are a lot of non-drinkers on the road, and they would be forced to shell out money for such a device, which would not only cost them dearly, but force them to breathe into the device every time they wanted to start their car! To give an analogy, would anyone think it fair to force drivers who happen not to have ashtrays in their cars to install ashtrays, although they don't smoke? Ridiculous!

Reply to
mack

I see your point, but at the same time, we all pay for car parts we may not need, like the metal things for properly securing kid seats, and ABS brakes, which in my opinion interfere with road feel during dangerous moments.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

true, we all pay for a lot of things we never use, like childless couples who pay taxes to support school systems, people pay for health insurance for 50 years but get killed in an auto accident in perfect health, and numerous other examples. But in the situation of a breathalyzer in autos whether the person uses alcohol or not, it seems particularly egregious. I have seat belts in the back seat but I've never carried a passenger back there, but in all likelihood, I will some time. Although I have two cars with ABS, I've only used the ABS twice in one car and never in the other ....I don't even know whether it works in the second car because I've never had to make a panic stop in it.

Reply to
mack

So, what's the solution? Wait until someone has their first DWI offense, and then force the installation of the device?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Somewhere, I think it's Bulgaria, I'm not sure anymore, the second DUI either carries life in prison or the death penalty. I'll have to ask my friend from Bulgaria this morning.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

As it should be.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

So, what's the solution? Wait until someone has their first DWI offense, and

Yep. something like that. It's better than having every motorist shell out $700 to $1200 PER VEHICLE to install the silly things and then (as another poster wrote) having the device be fooled by having someone else blow into the thing and allowing the drunk to drive off .

While we're on the subject, how about banning parking lots from all cocktail lounges and taverns, etc. It's always appalled me that people drive to a bar, have some drinks and drive away. In ancient times, when cars were few and far between, taverns "around the corner" satisfied the customers' thirsts, and then they staggered home on foot. No harm no foul.

Reply to
mack

Since I neither drink nor frequent taverns, I've always wondered about that. Why do they have parking lots around bars? If you're going to drink, why drive your car down when you may not be in sufficient condition to drive home? But in our mobile society, I guess you have to have a car.

I guess we have to thank GM for that. They're the ones that destroyed the mass transit systems after WW2. At one time, the interurban system linked up most of the decent sized towns in the Midwest and most towns of reasonable size had trolleys. Even a town like Helena, Arkansas (population about 10,000) had a trolley system. I know, I've seen the old tracks under the streets downtown. I guess for places that didn't have a local tavern, you could hop the trolley and go to the bar and I suspect in the old days, the conductor knew most of his regulars and knew where they needed to get off.

But GM wanted everyone to buy at least one car, if not two . (It took us until 1977 to have two cars, both Toyotas by then, so GM didn't benefit from us going to 2 cars.) So they sold Chicago those trolley bus conversions to convert old streetcar lines to busses running off an overhead line, then just regular busses.

But Chicago's still having trouble with busses. As everyone knows, busses travel in packs. The first bus is packed and the second and subsequent busses are empty or nearly so. Then there's no more busses until about the

2d or 3d scheduled time, when you get another pack.

I remember an old song:

Along the King's Great Highway, We drive our very own, At 20 miles per hour, in the middle of the road. We like to drive in convoys, We're most gregarious, In a London Transport Diesel engine

500 hp omnibus.

So apparently Chicago isn't the only place having trouble with busses travelling in packs.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr