1988 camry shocks.

helo all, i have a 1988 camry sedan,4cyl,2 litre..my mechanic tells me that the shocks are gone and that its expensive to replace them..whats the setup on these cars..struts or whatever..years ago i used to replace shockies on holden ht,hq etc. myself without to much trouble..is this a job i could do at home (given that i have tools and reasonable mechanical aptitude). any info appreciated. steven.

Reply to
helmut

The following is what your car uses in the front left (~$60, I searched 88 Camry LE, 3SFE on rockauto.com).

But I do prefer the Gabriel Ultras from the local Autozone. Labor is usually $30-50 a corner street price. And you would need an alignment afterwards ($60 or so on a good, recently calibrated Hunter alignment machine).

The rubber spring insulators/boots and bumper should be changed out.

20 year old strut mounts should probably be changed as well so you don't have to go back in later. These can be done at a shop for as little as $500 and goes up as you replace more stuff. Cheaper if you have a knowledgeable friend willing to do it for a case of beer afterwards! ;) ;) ;)

I personally would stay away from the "Keep Your Bilsteins", or KYBs for short.

See:

johngdole

Holden is Auzzie only? So forget about the Autozone then. I don't know if the Holden uses shocks and uses slightly different compressor, but a strut spring compressor like the following is what I use:

It's not hard, and the typical precaution about dangerous compressed spring applies.

Maybe Australian Truck & Auto Parts:

johngdole

thanks for the info..i think i really need to replace the strut so maybe its not worth it. I cant recall ever using a spring compressor..just a jack and fencing wire :-).

helmut

Maybe your local store will exchange the entire strut assembly (with spring) for a new one as Haynes manual suggested.

Sounds like the Holdens use coil springs and shocks, then. And you use the jack to compress/uncompress the spring while using a metal safety chain.

If you're not comfortable using a strut spring compressor maybe have someone who's done it help out. It's not hard, but a moderate workout with the front springs and a standard length 1/2" ratchet. Always handle the springs carefully because they pack a good punch.

Reply to
johngdole