All kinds of emission codes- help

My son brought our camry home from college and I am getting all kinds of emission codes. It all started with a catalyst below threshold bank 1 (420) which was intermittent last winter. Now I am getting a 440, 441, 460, etc....a whole batch of emission system codes.

Does this sound like a hose or some such that has come loose in the emission system or is there a plug somewhere? I am not a mechanic but I have managed to do things in the past - any suggestions on how I can start trouble shooting this thing. I turned the codes off last evening to see which ones would come back and how quickly.......

I have to say that it his been ages I am sure since he had it tuned up (if he ever did). I will surely start there.......just need to know where to look and where to go next........

Reply to
tboner

You didn't say what year was the car. The P0420 code can be a lot of things, the last of which is the cat. If you don't have any false air leak in the exhaust pipe between the engine and the sensors, then it's most likely the primary/secondary sensors have gone bad, especially if you are getting good numbers from a smog test.

If you isolated it to and if there is a need to replace oxygen sensors (which are impossible to test outside a lab environment, relying on codes for anything other than the heaters is not reliable here), I'd recommend only Bosch Planar oxygen sensors. You can save a few dollars by using the specified "universal" sensor for your year/model, but you'll have to splice the old connector to the new sensor. That's an additional 30 minutes instead of plug and play. But I've gone this route just to get a Bosch planar for a secondary sensor. I'd stay away from Denso thimble sensors, which can be part of the problem.

As far as evaporative system codes go, start by checking: gasket on the gas cap. Is it in good condition? Is it missing? Is it the correct cap? Check the purge control vacuum switching valve (VSV) mounted on the air filter housing if so equipped. There is a hose coming from the carbon canister and then to the throttle body on either side of this VSV.

If you remove the hose at the VSV from the canister while the engine is running, you should hear repeated strong vacuum sounds as the VSV is turn on/off. (Note: canister hoses contain fuel vapors. Take all necessary precautions). If the vacuum isn't strong (that is, above

15psi) or it doesn't shut off (doesn't go to 0), then you may be able to clean and lightly lube it by prying up the fingers that hold the plastic cap. Seal it completely afterwards. But don't break anything or it's $55-100 at the dealer. That VSV has the tendency to stick after a while and can give you the evap codes because it upsets the pressure balance in the system beyond spec.

tb> My son brought our camry home from college and I am getting all kinds

Reply to
johngdole