Power loss when radiator fans start

I've been having fluctuating idle for a while on my 93 camry. Sometimes it eventually stalls at some stop light. I replaced the distributer assembly, ECT and disconnected the EGR system. I recently noticed that the rpm goes down exactly when the fans start. Does this mean the alternator is at fault or could it be something else? I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks.

Erhan

Reply to
Erhan

The fans draw a fair bit of current which causes the alternator to output equivalent current to keep the battery up to correct level. The engine in turn has to supply the power to drive the alternator. If the idle control is sticking in the throttle body, the engine can stall.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

When the idle speed goes low, try disconnecting the fan and see if that makes the idle speed come back up. If it does, you've found the problem: the alternator is no longer putting out enough juice at idle and the battery's reserve isn't enough to pick up the slack. But make sure the belt is properly tensioned and the connections are clean and tight first.

Reply to
johngdole