Re: T-TEC (Trans Tech® ) procedure to change out your transmission fluid?

Thanks for your input. My Camry (now at 19,100KM/11,868Miles) has had regular service, but I can see that the last change of AT fluid (at

18,000KM/11,184Miles Service) is only 3L/0.79G but the tranny takes 6,5L/1.7G of oil so this shop does not flush the tourqe converter when they change the ATF. So it has had a total of 3 changes of ATF - the first one at a Toyota dealer but the last 2 at two different shops. So I probably should do a total flush like you supposed.
If you perform a drain and fill procedure of the transmission fluid every > 15,000 to 20,000 miles, I don't think you will have any need of using this > stuff. I think this is meant for people who do not change the fluid often > or have acquired a used vehicle and are unsure of when the transmission > fluid was last changed. > > Also, follow what the manual says for fluid. If your vehicle takes Dexron > III, I would suggest going with Mobil 1 ATF and performing a complete flush > and fill. This will give your car improved shift performance, etc. > > On my 2002 Camry LE V6, I did a drain and fill at the dealer with Toyota > T-IV fluid and I find the transmission is a bit smoother now. My vehicle > has about 33,000 KM (20,460 miles) on it. > > > Can Toyota service do T-Tec change of AT fluid? > > > > Anyone tried Auto-RX on the AT? ... > >
CamryV6

Two observations:

(a) If a fluid formulation change (assuming what you are draining out is not burned to a crisp) results in a change in shift quality to the firm side, then your new fluid has a higher friction coefficient. While you may like the "feel" better, this new fluid will not protect you final drive gears quite as well. Hypoid final drive gears like slippery high pressure lube whereas bands and clutches like less slipperiness.

(b) Does you 2002 Camry book require T-IV or Dexron?

Reply to
Philip®

My 2002 Camry takes Toyota T-IV. If it took Dexron, I would get rid of the factory fill and replace with Mobil 1 ATF.

I noticed that the transmission fluid stick said "no maintenance is needed for regular driving". I took the cautious side and did a drain and fill at

32,000 km. At 7,000 km the fluid was drained and filled when the shift solonoid was replaced.

Reply to
XXXXX

It IS CURIOUS that the dipstick has that information on it while the Passport Service book that accompanied your Owner's Book prescribes 30k mile intervals for both Camry and Sienna. Erring on the side of caution is wise.

In my 2003 Corolla, I changed the T-IV fluid at 10k miles and again this week at 20,600. It seems peculiar that both times the fluid suddenly started getting darker between 9k and 10k miles. Hmmm. Oh well, fluid is cheap compared to trans work. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. ;^)

Reply to
Philip®

Actually Toyota Canada recommends fluid drain and fill at 96,000 KM (60,000 miles).

Reply to
XXXXX

Philip,

According to Toyota Canada (not the dealership), for the Dexron based fluids, the recommend drain and fill interval is 48,000 km (30,000 miles). For the Toyota T-IV based fluids, the recommended drain and fill interval is

96,000 KM (60,000 miles).

With that said, my Toyota Dealer suggested to change the Transmission fluid every 40,000 km (25,000 miles) to 48,000 km (30,000 miles). They say that its a good preventive maintenance procedure and it provides less wear on the transmission. I admit the $80 Canadian ($60 US) cost to do this will provide the dealer extra revenue and me additional cost, but I figured its not too bad if the car starts to shift smoother and adds to the longevity of the car.

As you already know, I use Mobil 1 5W30 and change the oil and filter every

6,000 km (4,000 miles) to 8,000 km (5,000 miles). I know it costs me more $$ to use Synthetic but from the images of your engine internals and other info I have read, I am fairly certain that the engine gets less wear using Synthetic oil and the same can be said for transmission fluid replacement, as the transmission will have less wear if the fluid is in good shape.
Reply to
XXXXX