What is 51 code on 1988 Camry?

4-cyl. 3SFE engine. its something to do with an improper switch setting, I think, when I looked it up the other day.... but it did not mean much to me. What is it telling me? The check engine light isn't set on, so I guess it is something minor.
Reply to
geronimo

This says "Off-Road", but most Toyota codes from the 80's were fairly standard:

My Supra (Haynes) manual says "AC switch or Neutral Safety Switch error"

From an '87 Supra TSRM, Code 51: Switch Signal: No IDL signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, check with terminals E1 and T shorted.

Trouble area: A/C Switch circuit, A/C Switch, A/C amplifire (sic), Neutral Start Switch circuit, Throttle position sensor circuit, Throttle position sensor, ECU

I geuss the real questio is, is the A/C working? If it is, then you could try starting the car in Drive or Low. This isn't really recommended unless you have the car on a lift, or are in a place like a large empty parking lot where you can kill the engine rapidly before going through your garag door.

You can also try resetting the ECU in one of three ways: disconnect the - terminal of the battery. This will kill your clock and radio settings also, if you have an electronically tuned radio; locate the fuse that says ECU under the hood, but this does not always remove power to the 12V backup that holds up the memory on the ECU, or, open the glovebox and feel around behind it for the ECU. If you have the simple type glovebox that just flops down, the ECU should be right behind it, reach behind and disconnect the plugs for about a minute, and then plug it back in. You may have to remove a panel to access the ECU.

There is a Camry TSRM on line, if you go to alt.autos.toyota and search for Camry, you should find the link.

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Johnnyboy

Aha....I have jumped the neutral safety switch temporarily until I get a new one, and the timing test (the two terminals jumped for that) was being done with car in park when it was flashing that code. Also, the AC charge is low. So I guess it was the incorrect neutral start switch position that was being sensed.

Reply to
geronimo

Good! Now, just make sure the car is in PARK before starting it! I had a Nissan 240SX that had a bad clutch relay, and the car wouldn't start. I jumpered it, and only once tried to start the car without depressing the clutch!

Also, sometimes I have a tendancy to leave my Supra in Drive, since I mostly drive 5-speeds. Good thing the safety switch works!

Reply to
Hachiroku