2001 Tundra Static Electricity

My truck has cloth seats and this winter it started making static electricity, never did it before this winter. Sometimes it's enough to scare me as well as aggravate this old man. :-0 I've been spraying it with an anti-static spray called Static Guard but it only lasts a week or so and I have to spray again. Stopped at Toyota dealer today and they don't offer anything. Any suggestions? TIA, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Static electricity is usually caused by low humidity. You could move to a more humid climate. :)

Reply to
Mike

The other reply is really dumb, I can't believe he wasted the time to write it. About your problem, I've learned over the years that certain tires will induce a charge into the body of a car (perhaps low carbon rubber). Have you purchased new tires lately? If so, there is a few things that you can try...

Reply to
nospam

I have a friend with a 2005 Camry. It used to shock him to the point he said he could see the spark arc when he touched the door handle. He tried anti-static sprays, took it in for service, etc. Nothing seemed to make a difference until he bought one of those magnetic golfer bracelets (sorry not a golfer so I don't know what they are / do) He said since then it hasn't shocked him. I have no idea why or if it was just a coincidence.

You could always get those static discharge straps you used to see on old hot-rods or trucks.

Reply to
JSR

I'm trying to get my son to let me move in with him in sunny California, but no luck so far. :-)

Reply to
davidj92

No, the tires are the same Dunlops that came on it.

Reply to
davidj92

I usually wear one of those copper bracelets, supposed to help my arthritis, but I think it looks better than it works. :-)

Thanks, I didn't think of that and it's a good idea. it would be an easy add-on, maybe under the rear axle or somewhere else where it wouldn't be too noticable.

Reply to
davidj92

Hi Dave the anti static strap is a good idea but you should bolt it to the body not to the axle or chassis as they are insulated from the body. The cab floor pan is a good spot as you cant see it from the kerb. Good Luck Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe! It's not spelled "kerb" it's spelled "curb". Man! What good is spell check?

Reply to
nospam

no luck so far. :-)

Bad news... I live there and still get zapped. LOL

When the "Santa ana" winds blow touching my supra can be painful enough to make me afraid to touch it!

Reply to
Danny G.