80 Toyota P/U 20R stalls when warmed up

I've had an on going problem for the last two years and my forehead is getting sore from banging it against the dashboard. When my 80 Toyota P/U with a carburated 20R warms up it starts running rough and stalls the minute I stop. I've been through just about everything including unhooking hoses and valves one at a time to see if it makes a difference on top of rebuilding the carb twice. If this is a EGR problem, is there a way to eliminate it from the system safely or a place I can acquire one for a reasonable price? Thank you for ANY help in this matter, Sincerely Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Sounds like a choke problem on your carb. Like the choke isn't opening as the engine warms up. Takes the air intake cover off and watch the choke as the engine warms up. The choke is the flapper at the top of the carb closer to the passenger side. As the engine warms up the choke should go from mostly closed to mostly open.

If it is the choke, you can either have the choke unit replaced by a carb rebuild shop or just buy a new carburetor.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

No, its not the choke. Been there done that. The choke works great, in fact if the choke where to stay on all the time it wouldnt stall. If you put your hand over the carb after it is warmed up and stalling the idle will come up a stop it from stalling. Yes, I know it sounds like a vacuum leak. I've been there and done that two. Thats why its still doing what its doing after two years of triing everything this side of replacing the EGR. Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Does the carb have a solenoid for on the side of it? My 79 had a broken wire going to the idle fuel solenoid, engine would run on choke or very high idle setting but would stall if I tried to turn the idle down below 1600 rpm. Mike

Reply to
Mike K

Yes it has a deceleration solenoid and the vacuum switch that engages it is bad but, engaging the solenoid manually has no effect on it what so ever and I did make sure it does work, the solenoid that is. Some times it runs rough and stalls when cold but, mostly after it s warmed up. That's why I believe it may be a EGR problem, sticking or opening too far. Its just a real big hassle to get the thing off being its not designed the same as most. That's why I'd like to have a second opinion before bang knuckles. Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Mine has an idle fuel solenoid, it needs power to allow gas to flow through the idle circuit. might be called an anti-dieseling solenoid. Mike

Reply to
Mike K