High idle on '89 4x4 Toyota PU

Hi all, Have a problem with an '89 5-speed 4x4 Toyota pick-up. The idle seems to get 'stuck' and idle high a fair amount of the time. Not just when starting cold. The cable and throttle plate assembly seem to move freely. Any ideas?

Reply to
default

Do you have A/C? Might be the adjustment on the solenoid that increases the idle to compensate for the load of the compressor.

Reply to
Bubba

This may not apply to you. But for reference- my '85 2wd 22r pickup had a similar problem. I traced it to an aftermarket cruise control installation (bought the truck used). The aftermarket cruise control cable would ride under the existing throttle cable and cause it to bind, resulting in a higher-than-normal idle speed.

Joseph

No A/C or cruise control. I thought about mentioning that after I posted. Truck has ~100K miles

Reply to
default

This one's a basic truck. No A/C or cruise control. I thought about mentioning that after I posted. Truck has ~100K miles Thanks

Reply to
default

If you have the dashpot under the throttle linkage, make sure its adjusted and working well. If the air filter under it gets plugged, it can hang up the throttle and leave it slightly open. The other thing to check is the Throttle Position Sensor, specifically the idel setting:

Roger Brown

Roger, the TPS may have been the culprit. I had an ohmmeter and was able to check the resistance as per your instructions. The ranges were a little low and moving the TPS a little seems to help so far. I checked the dashpot and the filter was a little dirty, so I scrubbed it some. I think the TPS was it, though.

Thank you very much for your help and also to Bubba and Joseph for their ideas.

default