Locking rear differential

I am considering purchasing a Tacoma and wonder if locking rear differential can be bought as an option or found on any trucks that do not have the TRD package? This being a common feature on Ford and Chevy trucks if I am going to be in the middle of nowhere I want all the traction I can get but don't need the most expensive Tacoma in the state. Is it really needed like I am told it is or is this all sales pitch?

Reply to
walt gibbs

If I say "Yes, it's worthwhile", I'd be answering without knowing enough. What sort of driving do you plan on doing? Much off-road? Launching a boat from a trailer on very slippery ramps?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

In that case, do what you must to get a truck with that feature. I've used it once in 3 years, in a place so far away from the nearest towing service that it probably would've cost me $150 to be pulled out of some half-mud-half-snow crap. On the other hand, I've pulled my boat up some ramps that were almost too slippery to just stand on, but I've used the low gear feature before the locking differential.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have a 2005 Tacoma with limited slip... it was part of the towing package. It is not a TRD it is an SR5.

Reply to
JSR

Limited Slip is NOT a locker.

I've got both on my '05 (and my '99 Wrangler), and they both solve different problems. The LSD helps when pulling out and turning on loose surfaces, the locker is used when you're either stuck or almost stuck.

A locker turns the rear axle into a one-piece unit, functionally eliminating the differential. LSD limits the speed difference between the rear wheels, but still allows for a large difference. You can still spin one wheel with LSD, you can't with the diff locked. A locked diff will fight you as you try to turn.

I feel the OP's pain trying to get this stuff w/o the TRD package.

I wanted all the functional stuff, but had to buy power locks, power windows, carpet, tilt wheel, cruise control, decals, premium sound, etc... to get it. It's a NICE truck, but it's still a truck, so I didn't want the bells and whistles.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Kind of makes you wonder just exactly what Toyota Racing Development means, doesn't it? To me, "power locks, power windows, carpet, tilt wheel, cruise control, decals, premium sound, etc." does NOT constitute any kind of racing development I'm aware of. However, it makes for a great marketing tool... :>))

Reply to
TOM

I agree, but bolt-on superchargers, 7th injectors, better brakes, springs, etc... are.

Select "Tacoma" and click search. There's some interesting goodies available.

All of it falls under TRD program.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Neat stuff!

Reply to
TOM

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:49:50 -0800, TOM found these unused words floating about:

It makes the yuppie nascarettes think they have 'da best' [in luxury] as well.

however ... {you knew that was coming, eh?}

In the dusty desert, the power windows are a bit of a blessing when the wind suddenly whips up and you've all windows open.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Can't argue with that!!! :>))

Reply to