Oversize Oil Filter in 3VZE 4Runner

I was wondering if there is anything to gain (or any risk) if I were to replace the existing oil filter on my 3VZE '91 4Runner with a larger capacity oil filter. The stock model sure is tiny. For example, the aftermarket 3614 (FRAM and AC Delco designation, respect) could be replaced by a 3600. It is about an inch longer, but all other dimensions (threads) and values (e.g., bypass valve pressure) are identical. For example, I could use the Purolator Pure One in the larger size and be less concerned about pressure loss due to restrictive filter media.

Reply to
Finnbow

Well if it doesn't have a good antidrainback valve in it --- it would take that much longer for oil to circulate in your engine - so you'd be running it dry for a few seconds more. Larger would give more capacity and a little better coiling. I've always wondered why there are 75 different filters and only 10 different bases. Its not like the size is constrained by the mounting area. You'd think Toyota would use a single std filter just to cut down on iventory -- or one for 4 cyl, one for 6 and another for 8. Inquiring minds want to know. .

Reply to
Wolfgang

Cost.

Toyota engineers have determined that the small 1-pint filters are sufficient for our 3-5k change intervals (notice that the filters on European vehicles with 15k intervals are quite a bit larger) for most vehicles. The Tundra/Seq/Taco get a larger filter than the Echo/Rav4/Highlander.

Where does "cost" come from then?

The cheapest filter is going to be the smallest. If the smallest is not sufficient for a 305k change interval, then a larger one is used.

It's not a big deal to us when we're looking at no difference in price, but when Toyota is building hundreds of vehicles a week, it adds up.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer