Problems and quality concerns with newer toyotas, Anyone had these? 2003 Taco 4x4

I have owned toyotas for 18 years, and put a total of 500 000 km or so on a 78 Hilux pickup ,89 4 Runner, and a 92 4 Runner. All which I bought used at around 100 000km. Of those miles I put on them, I'd say 150 000 km were on back roads and ROUGH duty off road. I've pulled lots of full size Pick ups and Suburbans etc out of mud holes with my little 22R motor. Toyota should hire me to test their trucks, cause if it's gonna break, I'll break it. Out of all those years and trucks, the only thing I ever had problems with, is water pumps. For some reason I went through one every 100 000 km, and I'd say that's not too bad. I did the usual maintenance, clutches, starters, etc. But nothing ever failed until I'd driven them to at least

150 000 km or so.

Last year, I bought a new 2003 Tacoma V6 auto 4x4, with the past reputation in mind. I didn't even have it home yet and I discovered that the cruise control didn't work. Since then I have had it in the dealer for the following (including the cruise)

-Cruise control non functioning Some kind of relay replaced (0km)

-Valve clearance not set right from factory, (ticking, noisy) Needed to be opened up and reset. (2000 km)

-Dash board on passenger side makes noises when cold Waiting till winter to complain on this one. ( 20 000 km)

-Front right marker light fogs up after washing car for at least a week Replaced. (25 000 km)

-Front shocks leaking and shot, Replaced. (25 000 km)

-Button to release head rest, pops out and won't go back in. Entire assembly in seat replaced (30 000 km)

So far that's it, but I'm somewhat concerned about what I will notice next. I wonder if the quality has gone down since these vehicles have been made outside of Japan. All my others were made there. Has anyone else had any of these or other problems with newer Toyota trucks?

Postee

Reply to
Postee

Get used to it.

100,000 miles, have replaced speedometer cable, clutch pedal bushing, water pump, starter motor, heater motor, too many rattles and squeaks to count.
Reply to
Dan G

I think Toyota is just squeezing the suppliers too tight to get high quality parts. However, overall, the brand is still very solid and reliable!!

Reply to
Dan J. S.

My Toyota Tacoma has been reliable although it has MANY rattles and squeaks that come and go! It tends to annoy me and others riding in the thing.......Quality in some areas , not so in fit. My dealer says "it's a truck ...what do u expect? What a great response to a customer with quality concerns, huh?

Reply to
Dan Opeka

Well - I may not be in a position to say for sure because mine is still very new but my Tacoma has been completely trouble free. It's a 2004 double cab V6 4x4 TRD and has 2000 completely rattle free miles. It is, without a doubt the most solid vehicle I have ever owned. It is so rattle free that I get annoyed when a quarter slides around in the console. It is - hands down - the most defect free vehicle I have ever owned. To say my truck is perfect might be a stretch but I can honestly say there is not one single flaw.

I take that back - the "3400 24 valve" sticker on the engine has a wrinkle in it.

Foy

Reply to
Foy Blackmon

Could there be some connection with which side of the pond the trucks come from???

No flames, please, I'm just wondering...

Reply to
TOM

=====snip

MADE IN USA: (Engine made in Japan, maybe tranny also.)

2002 Tundra bot new: starting in cold weather engine sounds like bag of bolts in a clothesdryer - the colder the louder. Clears up after 15 minutes op time. Brakes had slight pulsation right off the dealers lot. Took it in at 18,000 mi, dealer claims can't feel pulsing. Will bring it back in at 35,000 with pit bull. Just turned 32,000 miles, tranny on highway a couple times felt like it quickly disengaged then reengaged. Has not repeated. A couple of dash noises that come and go. Cannot turn temp control when vehicle is winter cold. Need warmup before it will release. Intermittant groaning noise from somewhere in driveline when deceleration passes from 30 through 28 miles per hour. Not consistent, but when it occurs my passengers can hear it. Holds alignment well but sensitive in wind. Still own vehicle and am overall satified with its service, although I will not purchase another one as I will have no further need for a truck. Still believe was smartest purchase compared to competitors offerings; competitors use of shabbier parts and components (F, DC, GM, Nissan). My conclusion is Toyota product was and is the least worst pick.

MADE IN JAPAN:

2003 4Runner SE bot new, V6: tick in engine since new. Called dealer right away to log in service record. Will bring in when I get motivated. Brakes felt grabbier when new, they must be getting glazed. Brakes feel like some vibration coming, although very slight. Will have dealer address. Intermittant buzzes in headliner. Windows rattle if partway down while driving. Flivery feel to front end (steering gear) over some bumpy roads and surfaces. Drivers seat not as comfortable as it should be despite myriad of available adjustments. Sideview mirrors are much much too large, blocking view of important areas, especially while taking low speed turns. Got to keep craning around so as to make sure not running over curbs or pedestrians. Runnning boards serve no purpose except to make dry cleaner rich. CD player flakey on and off. Lousy radio reception. Piss poor RW defroster. No live powerpoints when key off (as in Tundra). Still own and still believe was and is better than competitors offerings. My conclusion is Toyota product was and is the least worst pick.
Reply to
Bob H

Dude! You seek perfect harmony in life! Awesome!! Your wife must be a hot babe! Blonde, blue eyes, perfect body, with a PHD in Economics from Harvard. Am I close?

Reply to
Dan J. S.

MADE IN JAPAN:

1978 Datsun B210, 1.3L: Head gasket at 50,000 miles, nothing after that. At 140,000 miles, traded in for 1988 Toyota pickup. Very positive experience.

MADE IN JAPAN:

1988 Toyota pickup, 22r: Leaking front crank seal at 92,000 miles. Replaced timing chain and fuel pump at 150,000 miles. Still driving it at 160-some thousand miles. Very positive experience.

Gee, ain't this fun??? :>))

Seriously, you can get good or poor vehicles in all makes, models, and nationalities, so going by one expereince with one vehicle isn't a real test. However, if certain faults in certain models continually show up you have a right to question the design and/or the quality control...

Reply to
TOM

For some reason, your response reminds me of a fellow I see every day on the way to work, and fairly often on the way home. He has an older Porsche and drives like a bat out of he**. I keep promising myself that I'm going to follow him to work (if I could keep up) because he must have a REALLY GREAT job, being in such a hurry to get there, and I want to send my resume'. And he must have a really cute wife since he seems to be in such a hurry to get home as well... :>))

Reply to
TOM

The Tundra alignment specs are too broad. Have an independent shop with a Hunter alignment rack get the toe-in & camber exactly in the center of the spec and the caster at the top end of the spec. What you describe is insufficient caster, although within those Toyota specs. Most dealerships will align the truck anywhere within the spec, and that isn't good enough. The Tundra alignment is easy to do on the Hunter unit with their CAMM console, and very difficult on other alignment rigs.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ken

Good info. I'll make note of the Hunter alignment system for the next alignments for our vehicles. Many thanks.

Reply to
1 Of The Masses

Can't determine where you're from. Kiolometers (Canada) Hilux (England? Austrailia? New Zealand?)

If you were in North America I would suggest that your older ones were made in Japan, and the new one made in Evansville, IN...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Dude, I'd call "Customer Experience" immediately!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Thanks to all who replied! I live in Canada, HachiRoku, and the Hilux was the name of the pickup in the late 70's here. I guess they recycled it for use in other parts of the world lately. I thought the new Tacos were made in California, but I wouldn't bet on my knowledge of this.

Postee

"
Reply to
Postee

VIN will tell you where it's from. First digit 1 or 4 means USA, 2 means Oh, Canada, 3 Mexico (but I don't think they're made or imported from there), J of course means Japan. If it's a 4 I believe it's Evansville.

Reply to
HachiRoku

They used to have a truck plant in Fremont, CA. Anyone know if this still exists?

Reply to
slikrikd

I know that at least for while the beds were made in Corona, California, just off the 15 Freeway near where it intersected the 10 Freeway. Is that plant still going? Any idea what else was made there? There's a Honda distribution center not too far away, too.

Reply to
1 Of The Masses

Don't know, but our 4Runner was assembled there. Wasn't there something about the excise tax still applied on domestic-foreigns??? I seem to recall reading something about closing it in Auto News or one of the rags.

Reply to
1 Of The Masses

All Tacomas are assembled in Freemont California at the Nummi plant. Trucks outside North America I don't know but I know for sure there are no Tacomas coming from Indiana.

Foy

Reply to
Foy Blackmon