Re: my cam is gone

I agree, why is the lobe wearing?Check enginebuilder on e-bay for

> reconditioned......... > > Might a bad cam suggest that there is a problem with lubrication? Are > there oil > > passageways that should be checked or cleaned? > > Rob in Calgary > > > > Jeff wrote: > > > > > My truck has idled rough since I got it in December. I just started > driving > > > it this week (body work is almost done) so I decided to adjust the valve > > > lash. All valve clearances were way off spec. I thought once I got them > in > > > spec my engine would purr like a kitten until I noticed the exhaust cam > lobe > > > for number 2 cylinder was badly worn. > > > > > > Can I change the cam without changing the rocker arms or do I need to > change > > > the rockers as well? I could polish the rocker contact tips and install > a > > > new cam if this would be acceptable. > > > > > > Jeffrey > > > >

yes. i did it on a 76 celica in a parking lot. if you're careful, you can pull the camshaft sproket and wire the chain up with a clothes hanger. if the chain doesn't slip, the whole job can be done through the valve cover. and unless your rocker arms look like amatuer welding hour, you won't need to polish them. the 20r and 22r motors need periodic valve lash adjustment. if you look in the factory manual, it is part of the tune up.

Reply to
?reality