soft break pedal with full travel

I am new to brake repairs so a friend of mine replaced the front right (passenger side) caliper,both front brake lines that meet the calipers,both rear brake cylinders,both rear brake lines and rear shoes. After all that work he bled the brakes my going to both front caliper bleeder screws (new ones) and the new rear brake cylinders one by one while while I pressed on the brake pedal 4 times and hodling it on the forth but the brake pedal is still soft with full travel and while driving very little brakes.What is the proper way to bleed the brakes?also now when braking the vehicle shakes I never had that problem before,could tapping on both calipers with a hammer caused something to go wrong on the rotors?. Thanks in advance for help & replies.

Sidney Repair tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 239 000 KM
Reply to
Sidney

Proper bleeding sequence is farthest to nearest (to the master cylinder), so driver rear, passenger rear, passenger front and driver front, followed by the LSPV over the passenger rear inside the frame rail. I often deviate a bit and to the LSPV after the passenger rear brake since I am there and have the vacuum brake bleeder all set up and ready to go. I've only bred brakes once with the 2-person technique so an no expert at that. I find the vacuum (or pressure) brake bleeders work fine for me.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Roger up here in Nova Scotia everything rusts that's the reason why I replaced the rear brake cylinders "but" the overload proportional valve's (or load sensing valve) bleeder screw is completely rusted seized which means that if I mess with it I am going to have to buy a new one from Toyota for $240 CDN plus new brake lines,can I bleed the system withouth messing with that overload proportional valve?.Thanks.

Sidney Repair tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 239 000 KM
Reply to
Sidney

You have to continue pumping the pedal until all the air is expelled. Usually more than 4 pumps. Using a glass jar to catch the used fluid makes it easy to se when the air is all out.

Reply to
max-income

I've always bled the LSPV when I do my brakes, so I don't know what happens if you don't bleed it. It can affect both front and rear brakes. It does have a two pressure lines to it, one with the main rear brake fluid and the other from the front circuit that senses if front pressure is lost. You can replace the LSPV with a lower cost adjustable proportioning valve (you lose the load sensing part of the valve). Wilwood makes a valve that costs about US$40 and there is a full kit to bolt in place of the LSPV for US$70:

Roger Brown